Bullnose Forums

Unused Wiring Connector Identification

kramttocs

The ground pigtail on the 1986 was never connected to anything on Darth or Matt's F150 5.0L EFI, I hever found anything it is used for, underhood light is fed from a pigtail on the battery positive stud on the driver's side firewall. That was the source for several items. It is shown in the power distribution section on the 1986 EVTM.

Clearance lights, those could be the roof lights if it is under the dash near the fuse box. The rear fender lights on the dually are fed from a relay that doubles as the trailer tow running lamp feed.

Thanks guys!

That puts the #3 ground wire to rest.

I don't have cab roof clearance lights - yet. The lights are on their way actually and I'll be pulling the harness from the 83 parts truck once weather warms up.

That Exterior Lamps diagram does seem to indicate that's what the #2 plug is for as the wires on the plug look to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. Wonder what it's calling 'Body Marker Lamps with Trailer'. The wording just seems a little odd to be referring to trailing running lights. Guess I could check and see if the plug is always hot or not.

So on a dually are the rear fender lights always on when the truck is running?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys!

That puts the #3 ground wire to rest.

I don't have cab roof clearance lights - yet. The lights are on their way actually and I'll be pulling the harness from the 83 parts truck once weather warms up.

That Exterior Lamps diagram does seem to indicate that's what the #2 plug is for as the wires on the plug look to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. Wonder what it's calling 'Body Marker Lamps with Trailer'. The wording just seems a little odd to be referring to trailing running lights. Guess I could check and see if the plug is always hot or not.

So on a dually are the rear fender lights always on when the truck is running?

No, the running (park lamps) circuit activates the relay to power them, the reason was to take the added load of the 7 extra lights (2 on each fender and 3 under the tailgate) off the light switch.

No, the running (park lamps) circuit activates the relay to power them, the reason was to take the added load of the 7 extra lights (2 on each fender and 3 under the tailgate) off the light switch.

Ah, I was misreading the 'always hot' part of the diagram. Will have to keep an eye out for anyone that has that #2 connector plugged in to see what additional lights they have.

Ah, I was misreading the 'always hot' part of the diagram. Will have to keep an eye out for anyone that has that #2 connector plugged in to see what additional lights they have.

You have to pay attention to relays. The relay power contact can be always hot. Question for you, the two lead female plug in picture #2, with the yellow a yellow red wire. Where is that located? Under dash or underhood? I know it will not be C915, it's in the back at the rear crossmember.

You have to pay attention to relays. The relay power contact can be always hot. Question for you, the two lead female plug in picture #2, with the yellow a yellow red wire. Where is that located? Under dash or underhood? I know it will not be C915, it's in the back at the rear crossmember.

#2 is underhood under the brake booster. The connector is in a harness that comes through the firewall above the cable management sleeve that is mounted above the brake distributing/proportioning valve.

Hard to see from the photos but it's actually a 3 wire connector with what appears to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. I need to get on a stool to lean closer to it and see if the black and white go into the same terminal (only saying that based on their proximity in the photo).

The C915 was based on viewing the connectors in the right hand drawing here:

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html

Not positive it's that one - it just appeared to be the most likely choice.

This evening I can try to match wire colors under the dash and maybe do some continuity checking.

#2 is underhood under the brake booster. The connector is in a harness that comes through the firewall above the cable management sleeve that is mounted above the brake distributing/proportioning valve.

Hard to see from the photos but it's actually a 3 wire connector with what appears to be black, white, and white w/red stripe. I need to get on a stool to lean closer to it and see if the black and white go into the same terminal (only saying that based on their proximity in the photo).

The C915 was based on viewing the connectors in the right hand drawing here:

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html

Not positive it's that one - it just appeared to be the most likely choice.

This evening I can try to match wire colors under the dash and maybe do some continuity checking.

You need to use the 1986 EVTM, Ford changed a number of wiring items between 1985 and 1986, the most important being the wire colors. 1985 used dots or dashes, 1986 it was changed to stripes.

Ran into an issue (may start a new thread for it) but looks like #2 is for sure the body marker lamps circuit.

The white w/red stripe looks to go into this relay (photo below) which matches the diagram (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps.html). The Trailer Lamps Relay Terminals diagram cutout shows the same 5 wires that are shown in the photo below.

I've stared at that diagram a long time and it's finally making some sense.

I see the plug location at C915 in the bottom left and it showing the white+bk combining matches the plug.

My understanding is that the whole mess of lights in the middle of diagram is IF something was plugged into the #2 plug in question. That 'something' being the wiring and the Marker Lamps Relay.

The part that was really throwing me was that I didn't notice C915 is in the middle top (below the 'funnel bracket') and at the bottom left. Once I mentally combined those two points into one plug it was more clear.

So there are 3 lamp circuits with 7 bulbs: RH side body, LH side body, and Rear.

As was mentioned earlier, the DRW's have front and back fender lights which match the diagram for RH and LH side with their front/rear notation. They also have the under tailgate lights (rear circuit).

Can stylesides also have RH and LH side lights and rear lights as a factory option (like a camper special setup)? The diagram seems to indicate that they can unless I am misreading the 'funnel bracket' part.

IMG_20181214_175245.jpg.f9dc7cae96aec09ec944f9688b35879e.jpg

Ran into an issue (may start a new thread for it) but looks like #2 is for sure the body marker lamps circuit.

The white w/red stripe looks to go into this relay (photo below) which matches the diagram (http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps.html). The Trailer Lamps Relay Terminals diagram cutout shows the same 5 wires that are shown in the photo below.

I see the plug location at C915 in the bottom left and it showing the white+bk combining matches the plug.

My understanding is that the whole mess of lights in the middle of diagram is IF something was plugged into the #2 plug in question. That 'something' being the wiring and the Marker Lamps Relay.

The part that was really throwing me was that I didn't notice C915 is in the middle top (below the 'funnel bracket') and at the bottom left. Once I mentally combined those two points into one plug it was more clear.

So there are 3 lamp circuits with 7 bulbs: RH side body, LH side body, and Rear.

As was mentioned earlier, the DRW's have front and back fender lights which match the diagram for RH and LH side with their front/rear notation. They also have the under tailgate lights (rear circuit).

Can stylesides also have RH and LH side lights and rear lights as a factory option (like a camper special setup)? The diagram seems to indicate that they can unless I am misreading the 'funnel bracket' part.

I can't answer your question. I'm not able to find a description of the side marker lights in the two dealer facts books I have on-line, although I have discovered that the 1983 version thereof appears to be missing 24 pages - right in the section I wanted to study - Options and Accessories.

Maybe someone else can answer the question of "Can stylesides also have RH and LH side lights and rear lights as a factory option (like a camper special setup)?"

No, but a styleside with the trailer tow package will still have that same relay. It shows it as either or. I see you also have the hot fuel handling package from the fuel pump relay (inside the cover below the green relay).