Bullnose Forums

Unused Wiring Connector Identification

kramttocs

I looked through my 86 service manual and while I think I can identify #2 in the pictures, I am not sure how to tell what it is used for. No doubt they are already posted here or on FTE but I'd need to know what to search for :)

#1. Inside cab. Behind dash cluster bezel in the hole behind the cubby (where the diesel wait lights would be in a 6.9).

IMG_20181124_221723.jpg.7b0e0f7cad98568a19785c03f0a1b975.jpg

#2. Engine bay. Under brake booster. Truck does have the trailer tow package.

IMG_20181213_185910.jpg.4955aa7d0e29bab04f92e592620c99c6.jpg

#3. I forgot to take a photo of this one but from the ground screw that the wiper motor connects to just below the cowl there is another ground wire with a connector that's not plugged into anything. I know my 86 parts truck has this also. Is it there just for easy ground access or some factory use?

Happy to provide more photos or wire colors. I am referring to the two plugs that aren't connected to anything in the photos. Thanks!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think #1 may be C327 shown best in the illustration on Page 69 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/headlamps.html. And electrically you can see it in the upper left corner on Page 53 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html.

For #2, see Figure 1 on Page 134 here: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/trailer-option1.html. Can you tell which connector it is?

As for #3, do you have the engine to firewall ground that is usually from the valve cover rear bolt to the wiper motor's screw?

Been looking through the service manual and I think I must be missing something big here. Maybe someone can teach me to fish (or read).

#1: To Throttle Position Module connector?

The book has a lot of well laid out drawings of the wiring but a lot of them terminate with 'Wiring Assembly XXXXX'

How do I track down the details of XXXXX? I figure there has to be somewhere that explains what the specific wire harness is for and the wire colors but for the life of me I am not finding it in the book.

Been looking through the service manual and I think I must be missing something big here. Maybe someone can teach me to fish (or read).

#1: To Throttle Position Module connector?

The book has a lot of well laid out drawings of the wiring but a lot of them terminate with 'Wiring Assembly XXXXX'

How do I track down the details of XXXXX? I figure there has to be somewhere that explains what the specific wire harness is for and the wire colors but for the life of me I am not finding it in the book.

The EVTM is the way to go for wiring. And I think you'll find that the connector would have been for the Throttle Kicker Module on Page 52: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

On #1 there are a couple of connectors behind the HVAC that look about like that... my guess would be either the clock plug-in or the connector for the optional courtesy lights in the glove box and kick panel areas.

#2 I have no idea...

#3 sounds like the under-hood retractable Light. It had its own braided metal ground strap between the hood and the firewall and a one-wire connector in the cowl area as you describe.

The EVTM is the way to go for wiring. And I think you'll find that the connector would have been for the Throttle Kicker Module on Page 52: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/carburetor-circuits.html

Thanks!

Heading out to the shop with a flashlight to do some looking.

#1 - I think you're right. Now I need to see what that kicker thing actually is and if I should have one or not.

#2 and 3 - I'll try to have answers to those shortly

Appreciate the links. Sure glad you have these all scanned in.

Thanks!

Heading out to the shop with a flashlight to do some looking.

#1 - I think you're right. Now I need to see what that kicker thing actually is and if I should have one or not.

#2 and 3 - I'll try to have answers to those shortly

Appreciate the links. Sure glad you have these all scanned in.

Ok, so did some floorboard gymnastics and found out at least a couple things. One being that taking photos in the pitch dark actually generates pretty clear photos...

Good idea on the clock connection. Looks like it's on the passenger side of the hump but took a photo of the clock harness anyways for posterity (this is the end of the short clock jumper harness that plugs into the main harness):

IMG_20181213_221709.jpg.513507dc8890c81a9d7576a3acd5a34d.jpg

#1. Didn't find it on my 80 400 but on both of the 85 460 trucks that connector is connected and goes into the 'v8 Black Box'. Or at least some of the wires on it do:

IMG_20181213_222430.jpg.944f512374ecd7cff32a88d26852fc0d.jpg

The box on the 86 is a completely different animal and apparently doesn't use/need that connector. Now I am dying to know what the differences are here in the boxes and wiring.

IMG_20181213_222154.jpg.d63c86dbdd6dbe998c30cf541cbbe270.jpg

#2. I am sure it's part of the trailer package but really not sure what it matches with yet in Gary's photos. Tried to get a better photo but not sure I did since my hand takes up half of it:

IMG_20181213_222655.jpg.bb1fdbacbc8242920d31d4fabdb377e5.jpg

#3. I do have the firewall ground to engine cable (looks like it's going to the intake manifold on this one) and this unknown ground is actually a Y leg of that same cable:

IMG_20181213_222534.jpg.d662768ff5f4c08fe72573ada0275b93.jpg

Ok, so did some floorboard gymnastics and found out at least a couple things. One being that taking photos in the pitch dark actually generates pretty clear photos...

Good idea on the clock connection. Looks like it's on the passenger side of the hump but took a photo of the clock harness anyways for posterity (this is the end of the short clock jumper harness that plugs into the main harness):

#1. Didn't find it on my 80 400 but on both of the 85 460 trucks that connector is connected and goes into the 'v8 Black Box'. Or at least some of the wires on it do:

The box on the 86 is a completely different animal and apparently doesn't use/need that connector. Now I am dying to know what the differences are here in the boxes and wiring.

#2. I am sure it's part of the trailer package but really not sure what it matches with yet in Gary's photos. Tried to get a better photo but not sure I did since my hand takes up half of it:

#3. I do have the firewall ground to engine cable (looks like it's going to the intake manifold on this one) and this unknown ground is actually a Y leg of that same cable:

By elimination I would say that #2 is C915 in the drawing. Not seeing where that goes or what it does on that page at least but haven't looked through all of the EVTM pages yet to see if it comes back into a picture/diagram.

Update: looks like that box under the dash on the 86 with a bunch of wires in the photo is the speed control. So maybe I just missed seeing the 'v8 Black Box' under there.

From FTE (NumberDummy old post)- the 'v8 Black Box' on the 85's is the Emission Throttle Positioner Control Actuator Assy. Both the 85's did originally have the smog setup (since removed) but so does the 86 (everything is still hooked up) so not really sure why the 86 wouldn't have it.

By elimination I would say that #2 is C915 in the drawing. Not seeing where that goes or what it does on that page at least but haven't looked through all of the EVTM pages yet to see if it comes back into a picture/diagram.

Update: looks like that box under the dash on the 86 with a bunch of wires in the photo is the speed control. So maybe I just missed seeing the 'v8 Black Box' under there.

From FTE (NumberDummy old post)- the 'v8 Black Box' on the 85's is the Emission Throttle Positioner Control Actuator Assy. Both the 85's did originally have the smog setup (since removed) but so does the 86 (everything is still hooked up) so not really sure why the 86 wouldn't have it.

Yes, the thing under the dash is the speed control box.

As for C915, check Page 72: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps1.html. It goes to side marker lamps. Maybe you don't have them?

On the ground wire, I think that the EFI system used a leg off the engine/firewall ground, but I'm not finding it.

Yes, the thing under the dash is the speed control box.

As for C915, check Page 72: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/exterior-lamps1.html. It goes to side marker lamps. Maybe you don't have them?

On the ground wire, I think that the EFI system used a leg off the engine/firewall ground, but I'm not finding it.

The ground pigtail on the 1986 was never connected to anything on Darth or Matt's F150 5.0L EFI, I hever found anything it is used for, underhood light is fed from a pigtail on the battery positive stud on the driver's side firewall. That was the source for several items. It is shown in the power distribution section on the 1986 EVTM.

Clearance lights, those could be the roof lights if it is under the dash near the fuse box. The rear fender lights on the dually are fed from a relay that doubles as the trailer tow running lamp feed.