Bullnose Forums

300 Six Compression Ratio, Intakes, Heads, etc

Gary Lewis

Well, right about here the plot thickens. We now know that the blocks and heads didn't really change, so the difference in CR is in the piston. Heretofore I've looked at the 1994 version of the MPC and then corrected it with info from the 1990 version which I have on microfiche. Now I've looked at the Feb '82 version on microfiche and have found completely different #'s than before.

In fact, the information is so different that I'm not quite sure how to process it. :nabble_anim_confused: So I'll post it here and then puzzle with how to incorporate the info into the spreadsheet:

• 1980 on: D3TZ 6108-A for HD US trucks (E-F 250/350 over 8500) and all E-F100/350 Canada w/leaded fuel

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-D3TZ-6108-A-PISTON-SET-RED/142627924239?hash=item213549690f:g:BhYAAOSwvfZaNimx:rk:2:pf:0

• 1980/81 before 12/8/80: D7TZ 6108-A for LD trucks (E-F100/250 & U150 under 8500 w/unleaded fuel)

Not Ford, but listed as LD 1977-82. Notice different shaped depression in piston.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1977-82-Ford-Truck-300LD-4-9-L-Engine-Piston-Ohio-1139P-060/332688814573?hash=item4d75cc71ed:g:mkEAAOSwi4dasHHe:rk:1:pf:0

• 1981 from 12/8/80: E1TZ 6108-A for LD trucks (E-F100/250 & U150 under 8500 w/unleaded fuel)

This is for 1996, which came as Hypereutectic and metric rings for reduced friction. Note yet another shaped piston relief.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-OEM-Ford-4-9L-300-I6-Engine-Piston-0-030-Oversize-F6TZ-6108-CBA/183248574653?epid=1237572785&hash=item2aaa7758bd:g:JKYAAOSw~U5bDXAh:rk:43:pf:0

E2TZ-6108-A [1982?]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Ford-BRONCO-OEM-Piston-PIN-E2TZ-6108-A-STD-1980-1982-4-9L-6-Cyl-Engine/332456216697?epid=1050413871&hash=item4d67ef4879:g:90EAAOSw4PxaEt1-:rk:4:pf:0

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...install either F.I. exhaust manifolds or H.D. [preferable] exhaust manifold with a free flowing exhaust and find an Edelbrock 1 barrel intake manifold to use with my present carburetor.

Hey, just curious, but do you happen to know what size socket(s) would be required to remove a set of the EFI exhaust manifolds? I can chop the pipe off with a Sawzall, but I need to know what other tools would be required to remove them.

There are at least two 300/6 EFI trucks at the junkyard I go to, and I may grab a set of those exhaust manifolds for a potential future project;).

...install either F.I. exhaust manifolds or H.D. [preferable] exhaust manifold with a free flowing exhaust and find an Edelbrock 1 barrel intake manifold to use with my present carburetor.

Hey, just curious, but do you happen to know what size socket(s) would be required to remove a set of the EFI exhaust manifolds? I can chop the pipe off with a Sawzall, but I need to know what other tools would be required to remove them.

There are at least two 300/6 EFI trucks at the junkyard I go to, and I may grab a set of those exhaust manifolds for a potential future project;).

The catalog shows the bolts to be 3/8-16, and that should have a 9/16" head.

If you can get two sets I'll be you can sell them. How 'bout the intakes? :nabble_smiley_wink:

If you can get two sets I'll be you can sell them. How 'bout the intakes? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Are the EFI intakes desirable as well? I have no idea. I read through the thread last night out of curiosity as I am tentatively going to look at an 81 on Wednesday with a 300/6. You know I've been wanting one, right?...:nabble_smiley_whistling:. If I get it, and that's far from guaranteed, I didn't really have any plans to modify the thing much...but if some junkyard manifolds are beneficial, then I'll have a closer look.

There's a 1996 F150 2wd there, and a F350 2wd (1992 I think) and they both have completely intact 300/6 engines.

I was going to drop by there today and see if I can find an 8.8 diff cover that's in better shape then mine. I'll take a look at the 300's and see what can be removed.

Are the EFI intakes desirable as well? I have no idea. I read through the thread last night out of curiosity as I am tentatively going to look at an 81 on Wednesday with a 300/6. You know I've been wanting one, right?...:nabble_smiley_whistling:. If I get it, and that's far from guaranteed, I didn't really have any plans to modify the thing much...but if some junkyard manifolds are beneficial, then I'll have a closer look.

There's a 1996 F150 2wd there, and a F350 2wd (1992 I think) and they both have completely intact 300/6 engines.

I was going to drop by there today and see if I can find an 8.8 diff cover that's in better shape then mine. I'll take a look at the 300's and see what can be removed.

Cory - What time zone are you in? Hawaiian? 3:12 AM?

Anyway, I doubt the EFI intakes are highly desirable unless you are going EFI, but you'd need the whole shooting match then. So disregard what I said about intakes.

But, have a fun day today at the "shopping center", which is what my wife calls a salvage. And, good luck on Wednesday!

If a person was wanting an EFI 300 six, that was the one year for MAF/SEFI. I found one in the flagstaff junkyard, but it had been well raided long before I got to it, and was far from complete. Now that I know the crank sensor isn’t a deal breaker I might casually watch for another one... for the day my diesel is done and the ‘81 gets its turn....

If a person was wanting an EFI 300 six, that was the one year for MAF/SEFI. I found one in the flagstaff junkyard, but it had been well raided long before I got to it, and was far from complete. Now that I know the crank sensor isn’t a deal breaker I might casually watch for another one... for the day my diesel is done and the ‘81 gets its turn....

Yes, that truck could be a gold mine for someone wanting EFI.

Ha! Gary, I'm on AST (Atlantic Standard Time)...one hour ahead of the USA east coast EST. I think that puts me 2 hrs ahead of you in OK?

I am also usually up very early...4am most days, so that's when the bulk of my routine internet searches get done...during coffee;).

If a person was wanting an EFI 300 six, that was the one year for MAF/SEFI.

I believe this truck is mostly complete in the engine bay. There a few parts missing, but the bulk of it is there as far as I can tell. I was going to grab the exhaust manifolds...but I'm not going to bother until I know I have a use for them. They're buried in there...and it was only -6C today...so I'll wait for a warmer day if I even bother at all.

IMG_6283.jpg.328dff2e62ccbd364dacaa5bd3a935cf.jpg

Ha! Gary, I'm on AST (Atlantic Standard Time)...one hour ahead of the USA east coast EST. I think that puts me 2 hrs ahead of you in OK?

I am also usually up very early...4am most days, so that's when the bulk of my routine internet searches get done...during coffee;).

Wow! That is EARLY! I was up at 5:30 to do my computing as the house is quiet then - as opposed to now w/7 year old twins rough-housing w/their father. Boy, am I going to miss that on Jan 3rd when they leave. :nabble_smiley_cry: