Bullnose Forums

300 Six Compression Ratio, Intakes, Heads, etc

Gary Lewis

I have only run 1bbl carbs, but from my reading and hanging out in the I-6 FB groups I can say that I have never once heard of anyone gaining mpg by going to a 2bbl, 4bbl or EFI set up. I know from an engineering standpoint the 1bbl in the middle of a long log is atrocious... but at the speeds/revs of these truck engines they seem to do awful well considering the supposedly “horrific” design.

Good point Jonathan.

Here are some pictures of the 81's engine bay that I'm planning to go look at tomorrow. Looks like it's mostly all intact, minus some smog equipment. Seller says that it needs some carb work, which I am assuming means that the thing isn't running properly/well.

Anything specific to check for on these things? Not sure if these pics will post properly...

Check for the screws attaching the float bowl to throttle body being loose. That will make it run like a pig, also vacuum leaks and EGR stuck open.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some funky wiring in there. Some to the battery, and something to the #1 spark plug wire. So I'd look the truck over to see what has been done to the wiring. Like trailer lights. Hacks back there can be a pain to fix after the dirt and wet have gotten into the wiring over the years.

Anyway, good luck! Maybe this is your Christmas present? :nabble_smiley_wink:

Oh, and there appears to have been a mod to the alternator belts. Perhaps a smog pump was taken off. But two belts to the alternator is unusual from what I've seen, and the back belt appears to sit down further in the waterpump pulley than the front belt. Not good! Not a reason to pass on the truck, but something that needs fixed - if I'm right.

The smog pump is gone and one groove of the alternator pulley is smaller and less deep, since the belt which drove the air pump was there and it was smaller.

The addition to the #1 sparkplug wire looks like the inductive pickup for a timing light [tachometer?].

The ports on the air cleaner are without vacuum hoses. This was part of the system to open the flap on the intake snorkel, controlling intake air temperatures.

Next to the temperature sensor [w/o vacuum hoses] is what I believe was where the make-up air for the PCV system was obtained, usually through a small filter located inside the air cleaner housing.

Check for a loose carburetor [2 X 1/2" nuts at base of the carburetor].

Check for damaged or missing vacuum hoses and open ports on the intake manifold [look at the vacuum "tree" located on the intake manifold just under the carburetor.

Since the air cleaner is not attached to the carburetor [for how long?], make sure the mounting bolt [wing nut] or nothing else has found its way into the carburetor throat.

Came across these Ford 300/6 Badger pistons in my searches this morning.

The ad is not new, but thought I'd post up for the 300 inline crowd.

Says high compression, but no idea what year/generation.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1292958620&requestSource=b

Standard size pistons would likely be hard to use in a rebuild that presumably would have to be bored?

I've seen pistons with that shape of dish in them before and they had a compression height that sat them further down in the block, definitely not "high compression" pistons as he is trying to suggest. Not that he is trying to cheat anyone, but perhaps just doesn't know any better.

Gary. I suggested dual progressive Holley/Webers like a Pinto or earlier Chrysler 2.2L used. The Pinto carbs have mechanical secondary throttles, the Chrysler ones are vacuum secondary design.

Pinto carb, pluses, has replaceable idle jets for tuning the idle transition, main jets, air jets and emulsion tubes are replaceable for tuning, engine size 2.3L (140 ci). Minuses, mechanical secondary throttle, water heated choke.

Chrysler carb, pluses, electric choke, vacuum secondary, main jets, air and emulsion tubes replaceable for tuning. Minuses, idle jets internal, non-replaceable prone to getting blocked, engine size 2.2L (134 ci).

Aftermarket Weber carbs, fully adjustable jetting, can be had in larger sizes for V6 applications (2.8L or 171 ci), many are hand choke but electric chokes are also available. These will frequently have a larger secondary barrel.

On the 3 one barrels, I would suggest trying to find a matched set of the Ford/Holley 1940 carbs, they have real accelerator pumps, piston type power enrichment systems but hot air or manual chokes only. They also have a dual pontoon float and a pretty much concentric float bowl design. Progressively used, center carb with auto choke, end carbs with manual chokes tied open. Synchronized, all three same style choke and jetted the same.

My personal choice for multiple carbs on an in-line 6, either 3 SU HD8s or 3 45 DCOE Webers.

Another carburetor choice would be what is available from 12bolt.com. It blocks off one primary venturi and its idle circuit and you operate on the remaining primary and the secondaries when load requires of the Holley 600 or 750. I have never personly been a fan of Holley carbs but there is a lot of parts available which would allow you to tailor it to your engine.

300 Inline 6 cyl "Iron Duke"?...

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/copalis-beach-1985-ford-150-4x4-4-speed/6758066527.html

Pretty sure the Iron Duke was a Pontiac inline 4 cylinder (and I'm only aware of it because it was used in some Jeeps back in the early 1980's).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Duke_engine

Unless the name has some other significance regarding the 300/6?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/d/copalis-beach-1985-ford-150-4x4-4-speed/6758066527.html

Pretty sure the Iron Duke was a Pontiac inline 4 cylinder (and I'm only aware of it because it was used in some Jeeps back in the early 1980's).

That's the one I remember.

You are correct, the "Iron Duke" was Pontiac's resurrection of the Chevy II 153 ci 4 cyl engine, it was essentially 2/3 of a Chevy 230 ci 6 cyl. Chevy decided to "improve" it with a cross flow head and different carburetor, later TBI and stick it sideways in the base Citation (Ford should have kept that name registered). The "improved" engine suffered head cracks and in the early FWD models a distributor cap that was only accessible on a lift from below, this was followed by a number of sideways GM 4s with the ignition modules on the back lower portion of the block (and you thought Fords were a PITA to work on).

You are correct, the "Iron Duke" was Pontiac's resurrection of the Chevy II 153 ci 4 cyl engine, it was essentially 2/3 of a Chevy 230 ci 6 cyl. Chevy decided to "improve" it with a cross flow head and different carburetor, later TBI and stick it sideways in the base Citation (Ford should have kept that name registered). The "improved" engine suffered head cracks and in the early FWD models a distributor cap that was only accessible on a lift from below, this was followed by a number of sideways GM 4s with the ignition modules on the back lower portion of the block (and you thought Fords were a PITA to work on).

Yep, on all counts. Had a Citation that had recall badges that went the full width of the radiator support. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Yep, on all counts. Had a Citation that had recall badges that went the full width of the radiator support. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Thanks for All This Information, Is there any one Running a Duel Carb Setup. To Solve some of the Fueling issues with only a single Carb to the Front and Rear Cylinders.

Thanks

Thanks for All This Information, Is there any one Running a Duel Carb Setup. To Solve some of the Fueling issues with only a single Carb to the Front and Rear Cylinders.

Thanks

Some have reported running a Clifford 2 X 4 intake manifold and with adapters, using a pair of 2 barrel carburetors.