Bullnose Forums

So who has parts vehicles?

PetesPonies

You can't always go by names. I know that complicates things, but names , especially for interiors are difficult to keep straight. Exteriors are like that also. A certain mix may be called several, or even many, different names over the years and over the different models for what it was used.

They offer this as well

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/vindecoder.php

Since I know what the names are for the SEM paints that match the interior colors I will use it. I have before and it has worked well for me. Perhaps Colorbond is better, but I'm not willing to experiment to find an acceptable color.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't always go by names. I know that complicates things, but names , especially for interiors are difficult to keep straight. Exteriors are like that also. A certain mix may be called several, or even many, different names over the years and over the different models for what it was used.

They offer this as well

https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/vindecoder.php

I understand, I stick to materials I'm happy with. But I can name three that have changed my mind. Master Series is a silver moisture cured urethane primer. It is fantastic with rusty metal and for sealing welds. NEVER use POR. Second, TrueFinish buffing compound/polish. It is just amazing. No need for several materials to cut and buff, no worries of dried material that is difficult to remove. No worries of swirl marks. And thirdly, are Colorbond products.

I understand, I stick to materials I'm happy with. But I can name three that have changed my mind. Master Series is a silver moisture cured urethane primer. It is fantastic with rusty metal and for sealing welds. NEVER use POR. Second, TrueFinish buffing compound/polish. It is just amazing. No need for several materials to cut and buff, no worries of dried material that is difficult to remove. No worries of swirl marks. And thirdly, are Colorbond products.

Is Master Series like POR in that it isn't auV stable and needs to be top-coated? If so, what is the timeframe in which you can do that, and with what?

And, why is it better than POR? I'm just trying to learn?

Is Master Series like POR in that it isn't auV stable and needs to be top-coated? If so, what is the timeframe in which you can do that, and with what?

And, why is it better than POR? I'm just trying to learn?

Because Master Series is a primer. It is intended to be top coated. But it seals the surface. And most importantly, it does not peel. POR peels. I's very hard, but adhesion is a problem. POR even says not to apply to fresh new metal. Master Series is a different material. It can be applied over almost anything. As for how to apply a topcoat . depends on what I am doing. If I'm spraying, I'll wait until it's tacky and spray the next material I planned on using. If brushing, depends. You can always scuff it once it is cured and apply over the scuffed surface. Here's an entire Mustang primed with Master Series silver.

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/vintage07.jpg

Here's a blurb about MS.

"MasterSeries MCU is a maintenance primer and finish coating for interior and exterior use over steel and masonry surfaces where a high degree of chemical, abrasion and corrosion resistance is required. This coating is generally used as a primer on steel and galvanized surfaces where only marginal surface preparation can be achieved. It can be used as a primer for enamel, lacquer, and two part epoxys. MasterSeries can be used as a topcoat where gloss retention is not a critical factor, i.e., as an aluminum roof paint. Because it has excellent salt corrosion resistance properties, MasterSeries has been widely used in marine atmospheres. It has found use on steel tanks, stacks, piping, metal building paneling, trucks, railcars, bridges, etc."

Because Master Series is a primer. It is intended to be top coated. But it seals the surface. And most importantly, it does not peel. POR peels. I's very hard, but adhesion is a problem. POR even says not to apply to fresh new metal. Master Series is a different material. It can be applied over almost anything. As for how to apply a topcoat . depends on what I am doing. If I'm spraying, I'll wait until it's tacky and spray the next material I planned on using. If brushing, depends. You can always scuff it once it is cured and apply over the scuffed surface. Here's an entire Mustang primed with Master Series silver.

http://www.masterseriescoatings.com/photos/albums/userpics/10001/vintage07.jpg

Here's a blurb about MS.

"MasterSeries MCU is a maintenance primer and finish coating for interior and exterior use over steel and masonry surfaces where a high degree of chemical, abrasion and corrosion resistance is required. This coating is generally used as a primer on steel and galvanized surfaces where only marginal surface preparation can be achieved. It can be used as a primer for enamel, lacquer, and two part epoxys. MasterSeries can be used as a topcoat where gloss retention is not a critical factor, i.e., as an aluminum roof paint. Because it has excellent salt corrosion resistance properties, MasterSeries has been widely used in marine atmospheres. It has found use on steel tanks, stacks, piping, metal building paneling, trucks, railcars, bridges, etc."

Thanks! I'll give it a try.