Bullnose Forums

New Page - Calculators Input Requested

I was reading the discussion regarding the 3.08 gear set for the Sterling diff, and got to thinking about how cool it would be to have a calculator to see what would happen if you changed the gear ratio. And, as things always do with me, creep happened. :nabble_smiley_blush:

So now we have a calculator (Driveline/Calculators) that lets you see what your engine RPM would be at a given MPH, and what your RPM would be at a given MPH - in any gear with any transmission with any axle ratio with any tire size. :nabble_anim_crazy:

But, I do need your input as to how it works and looks for/to you. I can easily change the layout, at least now while I'm thinking about it. And, if I have the wrong transmissions or gear ratios listed I can add or change that now as well.

Thanks in advance.... :nabble_anim_working:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks good to me, I know what my gear ratios are and RPM @ 55 is just about dead on 1500. Using the 31" tyre rolling diameter I got 1503 rpm in 4th with the E4OD, 70 gives me 1912 rpm which also checks. Slippage for the C6 converter may be a tad high, Darth used to run around 2200 rpm at 55 mph without the 5th wheel.

Looks good to me, I know what my gear ratios are and RPM @ 55 is just about dead on 1500. Using the 31" tyre rolling diameter I got 1503 rpm in 4th with the E4OD, 70 gives me 1912 rpm which also checks. Slippage for the C6 converter may be a tad high, Darth used to run around 2200 rpm at 55 mph without the 5th wheel.

Thanks, guys. But don't stop the cards and letter now. Please let me know what you think and if there are errors or upgrades.

Bill - The slippage variable is able to be changed by the user. As for the E4OD, I don't have that one in. Should I add it?

Thanks, guys. But don't stop the cards and letter now. Please let me know what you think and if there are errors or upgrades.

Bill - The slippage variable is able to be changed by the user. As for the E4OD, I don't have that one in. Should I add it?

Looks good to me. Matches my set-up almost right on.

no slippage in L/U, lots in unlock, converter is designed for multiplication, clutch provides the efficiency for fuel economy. Might not hurt to add the ratios as it is an upgrade for the C6.

no slippage in L/U, lots in unlock, converter is designed for multiplication, clutch provides the efficiency for fuel economy. Might not hurt to add the ratios as it is an upgrade for the C6.

Whisler - Thanks.

Bill - I'll add the E4OD in the morn. And, it won't have slippage in the calculation, just like the AOD doesn't. Just the C pair.

I've assumed that the E4OD's converters have more slippage than those in previous transmissions since they do have the lock-up so they didn't need to keep the slippage down. And, they could be designed to give more torque multiplication than previous converters because of that.

Kinda reminds me of the Super Turbine 300. My folks bought a 1964 Buick Sword. (Remember Kookie? In one episode of The Strip he was asked what kind of car suchandso drove. He said "A Sword". Dad and I burst out laughing!!!!) It had the 300 cube iron-block V8 with aluminum heads and the ST-300, which had the Switch-Pitch stator in the torque converter.

That rascal would fly, but you couldn't get fully "on" it until you were moving or it would switch the pitch into the high-torque position and it was slow off the line. But at about half-way through the intersection you could nail it and you were GONE.

Gary, not surprisingly I can’t use this on my phone... so I will have to comment once I can bring it up on a real computer...

This tool does lead to the next logical need... how to identify one’s transmission and what are the gear ratios for each model. This is a huge can of worms as we found out with the T19. And the T18, NP435, Tremec, and ZF’s also have multiple gear sets available...

What do you think is a reasonable solution to this need? Links to other sites that have already outlined the topic such as Novac and F150hub? Make a quick ‘n dirty table of generally accepted ratios and ID features? Dig into it further in the Ford literature? How much is in the facts books/shop manuals since these are sourced components?

Gary, not surprisingly I can’t use this on my phone... so I will have to comment once I can bring it up on a real computer...

This tool does lead to the next logical need... how to identify one’s transmission and what are the gear ratios for each model. This is a huge can of worms as we found out with the T19. And the T18, NP435, Tremec, and ZF’s also have multiple gear sets available...

What do you think is a reasonable solution to this need? Links to other sites that have already outlined the topic such as Novac and F150hub? Make a quick ‘n dirty table of generally accepted ratios and ID features? Dig into it further in the Ford literature? How much is in the facts books/shop manuals since these are sourced components?

Jonathan - I can use it on my iPhone, but I cannot scroll to the right to see the transmission ratios - which you may not have been able to see either. Right?

And, speaking of them and your questions:

• I have both the wide and close-ratio ZF's in already. Is there another one?

• T19: Kane Ellis has just asked about the 6:32 ratio on FB, so I need to dig back into this. Perhaps all of my literature will clarify things.

• Transmission ID: There are pages for that, so we may need to refer people there. Or, create our own?

Hmmmm, lots more to do.

Whisler - Thanks.

Bill - I'll add the E4OD in the morn. And, it won't have slippage in the calculation, just like the AOD doesn't. Just the C pair.

I've assumed that the E4OD's converters have more slippage than those in previous transmissions since they do have the lock-up so they didn't need to keep the slippage down. And, they could be designed to give more torque multiplication than previous converters because of that.

Kinda reminds me of the Super Turbine 300. My folks bought a 1964 Buick Sword. (Remember Kookie? In one episode of The Strip he was asked what kind of car suchandso drove. He said "A Sword". Dad and I burst out laughing!!!!) It had the 300 cube iron-block V8 with aluminum heads and the ST-300, which had the Switch-Pitch stator in the torque converter.

That rascal would fly, but you couldn't get fully "on" it until you were moving or it would switch the pitch into the high-torque position and it was slow off the line. But at about half-way through the intersection you could nail it and you were GONE.

Boy that worked for me at Preston and later owned it had an Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser with the 330 V8 and ST 300. We spent about 45 mins one afternoon going through the switch adjustments. After it was done he drove it and came back and told me when he reached the pitch change it was like opening a 4 barrel.

I built some ST 400s for Corvette owners who autocrossed them. On those, we just used a toggle switch along with a modified valve body (changed 2nd from a start in first to start and stay in 2nd like a Ford), the latter after the owner of the first one lost it in a corner on a high speed event when it decided to downshift to 1st on him.

Trivia for you, one of the reasons those mid 60s GM products (Buick. Oldsmobile and Cadillac) launched so nicely in normal driving, at idle (closed throttle) the stator was in high stall, as soon as the linkage moved, it went back to low stall making the car move quickly away, at roughly 3/4 throttle they went back to high stall which acted almost like and extra low 1st gear.