Bullnose Forums

And there was white smoke.....

Pebcak

Is your machinist going to disassemble the heads or will you do it? Meaning remove all the valves. If you do it yourself and plan to reassemble them yourself then add a spring compressor and valve stem seals to your list. If you are just going to drop them off as-is then your machinist will do that.

I will be asking about this. Thank you for letting me know.

Things have stalled a little with weather, truck being outside and normal life happening. I'm hoping to get the other head off this weekend.

I also have a bunch of stuff queued up in my RockAuto Cart. HERE is a screenshot. Can I get a second opinion that I've got the correct parts? I read descriptions and with my knowledge I think I've got all the correct stuff.

My problem is I can't find the valve cover replacement bolts. Anyone know where they might be? I know they're probably sticking out and I'm just overlooking them.

Is your machinist going to disassemble the heads or will you do it? Meaning remove all the valves. If you do it yourself and plan to reassemble them yourself then add a spring compressor and valve stem seals to your list. If you are just going to drop them off as-is then your machinist will do that.

I will be asking about this. Thank you for letting me know.

Things have stalled a little with weather, truck being outside and normal life happening. I'm hoping to get the other head off this weekend.

I also have a bunch of stuff queued up in my RockAuto Cart. HERE is a screenshot. Can I get a second opinion that I've got the correct parts? I read descriptions and with my knowledge I think I've got all the correct stuff.

My problem is I can't find the valve cover replacement bolts. Anyone know where they might be? I know they're probably sticking out and I'm just overlooking them.

Don - The first thing that jumps out at me is the Fram filter. :nabble_smiley_argh: I've heard and read way too much bad about them, including at the parts stores, so don't use Fram. I'd go with an Motorcraft instead.

On the plugs and wires, I assume that's what your truck calls for, but don't know.

As for the exhaust stuff, the Amazon says the gaskets and studs/bolts are correct.

And they confirm that the head and valve cover gaskets are correct.

And now, about the valve cover bolts. :nabble_smiley_grin: If you go to the Engines/Windsor page and click on the 351W tab you'll see a tab marked Illustrations. Click it and scroll down and you'll find that you need 387549's. But, what are they? And how many thereof?

Click on the Part #'s tab and you'll be presented with the 16 pages from the MPC on the 351W engine. Wouldn't it be nice if you could search that bad boy for that #? YOU CAN! Scroll to the bottom of the webpage, not the catalog pages, and click on the Full Screen icon in the lower right. That will open the document in a new browser page, and there should be a way to "Find" on that page. On Chrome it is the spyglass in the upper right, but it opens a Find function in the upper left. Type in the part number and hit Enter. (Note that you don't need 25 of them for the valve covers - that would include the oil pan.)

Now, if it had been anyone but Pebcak there might have been some worry about following all of those instructions, but I'm sure there's no problem between the chair and the keyboard. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Don - The first thing that jumps out at me is the Fram filter. :nabble_smiley_argh: I've heard and read way too much bad about them, including at the parts stores, so don't use Fram. I'd go with an Motorcraft instead.

Motocraft it is.

Click on the Part #'s tab and you'll be presented with the 16 pages from the MPC on the 351W engine. Wouldn't it be nice if you could search that bad boy for that #? YOU CAN! Scroll to the bottom of the webpage, not the catalog pages, and click on the Full Screen icon in the lower right. That will open the document in a new browser page, and there should be a way to "Find" on that page. On Chrome it is the spyglass in the upper right, but it opens a Find function in the upper left. Type in the part number and hit Enter. (Note that you don't need 25 of them for the valve covers - that would include the oil pan.)

Now, if it had been anyone but Pebcak there might have been some worry about following all of those instructions, but I'm sure there's no problem between the chair and the keyboard. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Now this part I didn't remember. I was able to get the part number previously but didn't crass reference it with the parts list. Now I've got that and know what to get for new bolts.

Thank You Gary!!!

Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and plans aren't made to keep me busy the whole time. Then I can get the other head off and get them checked out. Time will tell. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

Motocraft it is.

Now this part I didn't remember. I was able to get the part number previously but didn't crass reference it with the parts list. Now I've got that and know what to get for new bolts.

Thank You Gary!!!

Hopefully the weather cooperates this weekend and plans aren't made to keep me busy the whole time. Then I can get the other head off and get them checked out. Time will tell. :nabble_smiley_hurt:

I hope that the weather and family plans do cooperate.

As for cross-referencing, you didn't really have a way to do that before. I put the parts lists on, as pdf's, partially as a result of your question. Seemed the best way to answer the question. :nabble_smiley_wink: