Bullnose Forums

1981 Mint 400 Flareside Race Truck

Rembrant

I really enjoyed these, thanks for posting them.

These are just a few of the pics that caught my eye. I love vintage photographs like these. There are a whole bunch on there on that Ivan Stewart Black Flareside. It's all very interesting (and new) for me, as I really know very little about this southwest style desert racing. I knew who Ivan Stewart was, but I associated his name with Toyota trucks...not Ford.

46785550_10161243661180438_491047751300153344_n.jpg.abea26046aba13512e27a64cd97d4f81.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

These are just a few of the pics that caught my eye. I love vintage photographs like these. There are a whole bunch on there on that Ivan Stewart Black Flareside. It's all very interesting (and new) for me, as I really know very little about this southwest style desert racing. I knew who Ivan Stewart was, but I associated his name with Toyota trucks...not Ford.

1983 Parker 400. Nice truck;).

48361116_10161319170650438_1787374941155360768_n.jpg.98dba4ca098ad0ae5797a2917c192dfd.jpg

1983 Parker 400. Nice truck;).

It is interesting that most of the pics we've seen show a Flareside. I wonder if they knew that the Styleside actually weighs less than the Flareside?

Also, I'm surprised that they are running the aluminum "bullet hole" wheels on that truck. They do weigh a lot less, but I would have thought they are more likely to be damaged than a steel wheel. But, that's just my guess.

It is interesting that most of the pics we've seen show a Flareside. I wonder if they knew that the Styleside actually weighs less than the Flareside?

Are you serious about that Gary?...Wow, I would never have thought.

Maybe it's because stripped down, the Flareside bed was easier/lighter to deal with? There'd be no tailgate, and the wooden floor is likely removed. Not much weight left after that.

Are you serious about that Gary?...Wow, I would never have thought.

Maybe it's because stripped down, the Flareside bed was easier/lighter to deal with? There'd be no tailgate, and the wooden floor is likely removed. Not much weight left after that.

Serious. I haven't found the actual weight again, like I did last week, but I do remember seeing that. However, go to the 1983 dealer facts book, turn to the Vehicles and then the F-Series 4x2 tabs and scroll down to Page 16. Note that the payload for the 4700 GVW trucks is 1430 lbs for a Flareside and 1460 lbs for a Syleside.