Bullnose Forums

Flareside wheel arch trim?

Ford F834

I came across this photo on Facebook and noticed that the rear fenders have some wheel opening/arch trim. I’ve never seen that before on the fiberglass flares. Does the style side trim fit? Is this perhaps aftermarket? Looks a bit odd to me (as in I don’t much care for it) but it did get my curiosity going...

D8E2B1F9-164F-4A6A-9C17-2625B33F679D.thumb.jpeg.561c3cfc5f501e01897eb758c6fa74ff.jpeg

Interestingly, the catalog differentiates the moulding by cab style not bed style. So, from what I can see in there a Flareside could have the trim just like a Styleside. But, I do agree with you that there's something odd about it.

I'll check the dealer's fact book in a bit and see if a Flareside could be ordered with it.

Interestingly, the catalog differentiates the moulding by cab style not bed style. So, from what I can see in there a Flareside could have the trim just like a Styleside. But, I do agree with you that there's something odd about it.

I'll check the dealer's fact book in a bit and see if a Flareside could be ordered with it.

No, Flaresides didn't get the wheel lip moulding - at least not in '84. The page below is from Ford's 1984 Light Truck Data Book, which is different than the 1984 Truck Facts Book - and I have both. As you can see, the wheel lip moulding is conspicuous by its absence in the Flareside section. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, you might say "Well, the XL Flaresides didn't get wheel lip mouldings, but what about the XLT Flaresides?" The next page says "XLT available w/single rear wheel Styleside only. N.A. w/Flareside, DRW Styleside or Chassis Cab."

So, this begs the question of where I should put the "standard features" and "optional trim levels" info on the website.

Flareside_Wheel_Lip_Moulding_-_Small.jpg.baa39ecfdac910ebb5cf680da3ceeb75.jpg

No, Flaresides didn't get the wheel lip moulding - at least not in '84. The page below is from Ford's 1984 Light Truck Data Book, which is different than the 1984 Truck Facts Book - and I have both. As you can see, the wheel lip moulding is conspicuous by its absence in the Flareside section. :nabble_smiley_wink:

And, you might say "Well, the XL Flaresides didn't get wheel lip mouldings, but what about the XLT Flaresides?" The next page says "XLT available w/single rear wheel Styleside only. N.A. w/Flareside, DRW Styleside or Chassis Cab."

So, this begs the question of where I should put the "standard features" and "optional trim levels" info on the website.

Thanks for posting this, Gary. I was looking for a definitive list of the trim in the '84 XL and lo and behold, here it is! Thanks! :nabble_smiley_good:

- Chris

Thanks for posting this, Gary. I was looking for a definitive list of the trim in the '84 XL and lo and behold, here it is! Thanks! :nabble_smiley_good:

- Chris

Actually, that's just the optional list. I also have the standard list for the various trim levels for each cab type (regular, super, crew, etc). But, I don't know where to put that info on the website, so if you'd help me figure that out maybe I could add that info.

It looks to me like the best place is in Specifications. What do you think?

Actually, that's just the optional list. I also have the standard list for the various trim levels for each cab type (regular, super, crew, etc). But, I don't know where to put that info on the website, so if you'd help me figure that out maybe I could add that info.

It looks to me like the best place is in Specifications. What do you think?

Oh yeah, you're right. I guess it so happens that the truck was fully loaded then!

Yep, Specifications makes sense to me as well.

I came across this photo on Facebook and noticed that the rear fenders have some wheel opening/arch trim. I’ve never seen that before on the fiberglass flares. Does the style side trim fit? Is this perhaps aftermarket? Looks a bit odd to me (as in I don’t much care for it) but it did get my curiosity going...

That picture caught my eye on FB as well, for the same reason. I figured they were added on after the fact...maybe even factory pieces, just not originally from this particular truck.

Well, it was too easy to miss, so I created a page for it: Specifications/Standard Features And Options. Currently it only has the 1984 info, but it is a start. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Wheel moldings were not offered on Flareside, (even aftermarket Bushwacker fender flares not offered, But I did install "styleside" flares onto my Flareside (in '86)" by drilling through the fiberglass fenders... (very scary at the time)

There is no wheel well lip, therefor nowhere for the mounting screws, just a thin fiberglass wall.

XLT trim was not offered on Flareside, you wont find the side moldings either cause of the bed fenders ….