Bullnose Forums

Help from the herd on upgrade options

kristopherdb

Thanks its kind of hard to read as its very faded. trans says "A" and Axle says "18" or "1B"

According to this post on FTE, axle code 18 on a 83-86 truck is an open differential 8.8 inch axle with 3.08's.

IMG_3128.thumb.png.5a361c38481646df47ba0b0494c44a5c.png

My 4x4 swap that I just did has 3.00 gears, and I am thinking of adding overdrive. When it was a 2wd truck it had 2.75's which I liked except for 2nd gear starts were a little harsh, so I used a close ratio T19 that came out of my diesel. I have not driven it yet with the 3.00's but I am guessing I will still be reaching for another gear for that straight six.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this post on FTE, axle code 18 on a 83-86 truck is an open differential 8.8 inch axle with 3.08's.

My 4x4 swap that I just did has 3.00 gears, and I am thinking of adding overdrive. When it was a 2wd truck it had 2.75's which I liked except for 2nd gear starts were a little harsh, so I used a close ratio T19 that came out of my diesel. I have not driven it yet with the 3.00's but I am guessing I will still be reaching for another gear for that straight six.

So keeping my eye out for a ZF5 off a 4 wheel drive vehicle is my goal? Do I keep the same transfer case and should go ahead and repair the one I have?

So keeping my eye out for a ZF5 off a 4 wheel drive vehicle is my goal? Do I keep the same transfer case and should go ahead and repair the one I have?

Jonathan - You don't believe the Axle Ratios page? The one with info from Ford's Master Parts Catalog? You'd rather put your faith in some random post on the "other" forum? :nabble_anim_confused: (Where's the ROTFL emoticon?)

Kristopher - Yes, go find a 4wd ZF5 for the small-block bolt pattern, meaning from a 300 six, 302, or 351W. And any of the transfer cases will work as the transfer case bolt pattern is one of the few things Ford kept standard. So you can repair the one you have and it'll work with the new tranny.

Also, you'll need to get the shift lever for the ZF as well as the floor cover as the ZF is much taller and won't fit under the cover you have. But the floor pans stayed the same until the mid 90's so one off of a later truck will work.

And, the ZF is rugged but many of the older ones are well and truly worn. So you may have to have one rebuilt and that takes special tools and has a price tag to it. I paid $500 for mine several years ago and put another $1000 in parts and labor in it.

I found a pair of zf5's one has cracked tail, and the other a twisted output with transfer case for $500, is this worth it.

You'd have to have someone meld the two into one, and while in there you will need them to replace any worn or broken parts. That can be a long process as they have to disassemble, check things out, and then order replacement parts.

So if you have someone that works on ZF's lined up, then maybe that would work. But those people aren't plentiful from what I've found. I would rather pay more for one that is said to be good.

Or, buy one that is known to need rebuilding and use it as a core on a rebuilt with a warranty. I've bought parts from Midwest Transmissions and they seem to be pretty good. But they also sell rebuilt transmissions, so you might talk to them.

You'd have to have someone meld the two into one, and while in there you will need them to replace any worn or broken parts. That can be a long process as they have to disassemble, check things out, and then order replacement parts.

So if you have someone that works on ZF's lined up, then maybe that would work. But those people aren't plentiful from what I've found. I would rather pay more for one that is said to be good.

Or, buy one that is known to need rebuilding and use it as a core on a rebuilt with a warranty. I've bought parts from Midwest Transmissions and they seem to be pretty good. But they also sell rebuilt transmissions, so you might talk to them.

ill do that!

Yes, I agree.

I have a '81 with a 300 and the SROD and originally had the 2.47. It was "horrific" driving and basically couldn't use 4th gear (OD) except under very narrow circumstances. Like, no hills, no wind, and willing to keep the pedal to the floor most of the time.

If this truck has a 3.00 or 3.08, my opinion (for what little it's worth) would be to keep the granny low 4 sp and spend the money on a new/rebuilt transfer case. If the goal is to keep up with 75+ mph traffic on the freeway in a bigger metropolis, then you may want to rethink the situation. I just "putt" in mine, and folks in a hurry just go around me like they do big trucks.

My truck is happy now that I changed rear gear to 3.50. The SROD is no heavy duty trans, but for what I'm using it for, is just fine for now. As has been said on FTE, I scored a toploader transmission and thinking to put that in to have a good reliable one under the floorboard. If I do that, then will accelerate looking for, or purchasing a new/rebuilt 3.25 3rd member for the rear end. 300s don't like to rev, and for the way I drive, that should be just fine.

I have a '81 with a 300 and the SROD and originally had the 2.47. It was "horrific" driving and basically couldn't use 4th gear (OD) except under very narrow circumstances. Like, no hills, no wind, and willing to keep the pedal to the floor most of the time.

If this truck has a 3.00 or 3.08, my opinion (for what little it's worth) would be to keep the granny low 4 sp and spend the money on a new/rebuilt transfer case. If the goal is to keep up with 75+ mph traffic on the freeway in a bigger metropolis, then you may want to rethink the situation. I just "putt" in mine, and folks in a hurry just go around me like they do big trucks.

My truck is happy now that I changed rear gear to 3.50. The SROD is no heavy duty trans, but for what I'm using it for, is just fine for now. As has been said on FTE, I scored a toploader transmission and thinking to put that in to have a good reliable one under the floorboard. If I do that, then will accelerate looking for, or purchasing a new/rebuilt 3.25 3rd member for the rear end. 300s don't like to rev, and for the way I drive, that should be just fine.

Good advice.