Bullnose Forums

Help?

Fordboy300

Hi guys, So yesterday my dad and I bled the rear brake twice and today he drove it. He said he still felt a spongy/soft pedal he says it stops but it kinda takes its time.

Now I'm just assuming do you guys think it has anything to do with the power brake booster rod adjustment?? I did measure the old one to the new one (just with a engineers stick ruler) and its pretty close to old one.

The rod between the booster and master doesn't change the feel. It just takes up the slack in the system. So, if you adjust it too small you'll have slack where the pedal will go down a ways before it hits the master cylinder's piston and braking starts. But from there the feel will be the same.

However, if you get it too long the brakes won't fully release. A friend of mine and I did just that and the brakes were apparently dragging some. As he drove the brakes got hot and expanded, causing more drag. And after about 20 miles they locked up.

So, you want to be on the shy side of the adjustment. But tomorrow I'll try to remember to find the true dimension from the factory shop manual and put it on the website.

The rod between the booster and master doesn't change the feel. It just takes up the slack in the system. So, if you adjust it too small you'll have slack where the pedal will go down a ways before it hits the master cylinder's piston and braking starts. But from there the feel will be the same.

However, if you get it too long the brakes won't fully release. A friend of mine and I did just that and the brakes were apparently dragging some. As he drove the brakes got hot and expanded, causing more drag. And after about 20 miles they locked up.

So, you want to be on the shy side of the adjustment. But tomorrow I'll try to remember to find the true dimension from the factory shop manual and put it on the website.

Thank you Gary, I would very much appreciate that!