Bullnose Forums

460 Saginaw Power Steering Pump with AC

I'd like to add a Saginaw pump to my 1976 F150 with a 460 and AC. I know I need the pump and brackets from a E250 or E350. I would like to use the early style brackets (not the chunky aluminum ones), but I'm not sure how late they were made. Anyone know?

I also believe I can use the pump and brackets from a full size car that came with a 460 and AC? The only reproduction stuff I can find is for non AC trucks.

I know this is for the 7.3 diesel... but the transition from V belt to serpentine was mid-year 1992. Bill can probably tell you for sure when the 460 changed.

As far as the bracket, the part number/engineering number stamped on the bracket is the same for the 460, the 6.9/7.3 IDI, and I believe the 302 as well. This greatly broadens the number of potential donor vans. The number you are looking for is this:

A793BBCD-34F9-4A06-A45E-61DF3F5389CA.thumb.jpeg.357960c3410e6f3994d0f5020085e4f4.jpeg

This bracket will bolt in place of a C2 bracket, and that mounting plate arrangement should be what determines whether it is for AC or not. If you currently have a C2 mounted up, swapping in this bracket and the pump that comes with it should place the V groove where you need it. The bracket looks like this:

27DF7ABF-2E29-4A89-91F0-731368ECCFDA.jpeg.c4bc5ff12c95e58182c17bc0fa564c3e.jpeg

I know this is for the 7.3 diesel... but the transition from V belt to serpentine was mid-year 1992. Bill can probably tell you for sure when the 460 changed.

As far as the bracket, the part number/engineering number stamped on the bracket is the same for the 460, the 6.9/7.3 IDI, and I believe the 302 as well. This greatly broadens the number of potential donor vans. The number you are looking for is this:

This bracket will bolt in place of a C2 bracket, and that mounting plate arrangement should be what determines whether it is for AC or not. If you currently have a C2 mounted up, swapping in this bracket and the pump that comes with it should place the V groove where you need it. The bracket looks like this:

The change to poly groove belts (serpentine) on the 460 was the same year as the EFI introduction, 1988 MY. I was trying to remember if any cars came with the Saginaw pump, all the ones I can recall had the older Ford pump almost directly under the Tecumseh or York 2 cyl A/C compressor. The exception was Lincolns, they used a GM A6 compressor. Possibly some of those late 60s into the 70s may have had a Saginaw. I dod remember that my 1970 LTD Brougham and 1971 Colony Park with 429s had a round pump that could have been a Saginaw.

If you really want to get strange with it, the first few years of the 460 in the Lincoln, not the Continental Marks, had a crank driven Vickers vane type pump, very quiet and never had to deal with belts slipping or squealing. That, however requires a different timing cover, the pump replaces the sleeve behind the balancer.

The change to poly groove belts (serpentine) on the 460 was the same year as the EFI introduction, 1988 MY. I was trying to remember if any cars came with the Saginaw pump, all the ones I can recall had the older Ford pump almost directly under the Tecumseh or York 2 cyl A/C compressor. The exception was Lincolns, they used a GM A6 compressor. Possibly some of those late 60s into the 70s may have had a Saginaw. I dod remember that my 1970 LTD Brougham and 1971 Colony Park with 429s had a round pump that could have been a Saginaw.

If you really want to get strange with it, the first few years of the 460 in the Lincoln, not the Continental Marks, had a crank driven Vickers vane type pump, very quiet and never had to deal with belts slipping or squealing. That, however requires a different timing cover, the pump replaces the sleeve behind the balancer.

And out comes the 460 knowledge :nabble_anim_claps:

Crank driven steering pump? Sounds like a good idea... but does it unbolt from the timing cover or do you have to pull the balancer to change it? In that case no thank you 😬

And out comes the 460 knowledge :nabble_anim_claps:

Crank driven steering pump? Sounds like a good idea... but does it unbolt from the timing cover or do you have to pull the balancer to change it? In that case no thank you 😬

You have to remove the balancer, it replaces the spacer sleeve (the reason for the weird keyway setup on the 385 series engines) biggest issue in R&R on the pumps is the need to get the balancer key out before the pump will slide off.

You have to remove the balancer, it replaces the spacer sleeve (the reason for the weird keyway setup on the 385 series engines) biggest issue in R&R on the pumps is the need to get the balancer key out before the pump will slide off.

Sagnaw_PS_mount_460.jpg.75b3e3bd18cad1fa287d6907edd2125d.jpg

Pulled this image from google. So all I need is 3A732? The rest of the brackets I already have will just bolt up?

I don't think I have the C2. It's larger and metal, and I believe the C2 didn't come out until 1978

Is that part number D81A-3A732-BA? Hard to read the first couple digits

Also, I wonder how much I would have to modify this Wild Horses bracket? It looks pretty close to what I need. I might try that if I can't find the van bracket

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Power_Steering_Pump_Bracket_Zinc_Clear/Bronco_Extreme_Duty_Steering_Pumps?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_s7fBRDrARIsAGEvF8SxODNJl9dIIgsxFRj0LYXLrfubhBCY8vabZG9hbpwk3NLpA2vBXYEaAiU8EALw_wcB

Also, I wonder how much I would have to modify this Wild Horses bracket? It looks pretty close to what I need. I might try that if I can't find the van bracket

https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/product/Power_Steering_Pump_Bracket_Zinc_Clear/Bronco_Extreme_Duty_Steering_Pumps?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_s7fBRDrARIsAGEvF8SxODNJl9dIIgsxFRj0LYXLrfubhBCY8vabZG9hbpwk3NLpA2vBXYEaAiU8EALw_wcB

This is what I have right now, I think I would need 3C511 too, it doesn't look like 3A732 would bolt on to my existing bracket.

Power_steering_pump_460_1976.jpg.29359953413ef4295028580a34db9e98.jpg

Here is an Ebay link with a better picture of what I have:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-429-460-Power-Steering-Pump-and-Brackets/264013508385?hash=item3d786e6f21:g:IHMAAOSwWotb147T:rk:37:pf:0

Okay, a couple things here...

The engineering number stamped on the bracket is D8TA-3A732-BA. the actual Ford part number will be slightly different, perhaps D8TZ or D8TK...

The next thing to note is that the picture in your van bracket diagram shows a pump bracket with a protrusion and a stud on it. This is a tensioner with adjusting nuts that tighten against the 3C511 bracket. The bracket I showed has a square hole in it instead to hold tension with a breaker bar. It would be preferable to get the 460 3C511 (base part #) bracket. Any 460 with a C2 and V belts should have a 3C511 bracket that will work with Saginaw pump bracket in my pictures.

What you have is what is nick-named the pencil neck steering pump. I don’t know much about them, but clearly from your pictures it mounts in a completely different way. You will need different engine bracketry to hold the Saginaw bracket.

The last catch is that you have the York style compressor. If that mounting platform for the compressor mounts to the same engine bracket, you might need one from a York compressor AC truck... but this is getting way outside of my area of familiarity. The 460 guys may know more about the 3C511 bracket.

Okay, a couple things here...

The engineering number stamped on the bracket is D8TA-3A732-BA. the actual Ford part number will be slightly different, perhaps D8TZ or D8TK...

The next thing to note is that the picture in your van bracket diagram shows a pump bracket with a protrusion and a stud on it. This is a tensioner with adjusting nuts that tighten against the 3C511 bracket. The bracket I showed has a square hole in it instead to hold tension with a breaker bar. It would be preferable to get the 460 3C511 (base part #) bracket. Any 460 with a C2 and V belts should have a 3C511 bracket that will work with Saginaw pump bracket in my pictures.

What you have is what is nick-named the pencil neck steering pump. I don’t know much about them, but clearly from your pictures it mounts in a completely different way. You will need different engine bracketry to hold the Saginaw bracket.

The last catch is that you have the York style compressor. If that mounting platform for the compressor mounts to the same engine bracket, you might need one from a York compressor AC truck... but this is getting way outside of my area of familiarity. The 460 guys may know more about the 3C511 bracket.

Thank you for the info!