Bullnose Forums

Overheated but didn't fail me.

Pebcak

Driving to meet my wife at a Rodeo arena I noticed that the engine was getting hot about 5 miles out from arriving. I had driven about 25 miles already going about 70-75. As I noticed it I had one stop sign left and then be at the arena. Nothing was happening except it was showing hot. So I decided to try to make it so I wasn't stranded on the side of a two lane highway.

As I was sitting at the stop sign I noticed some steam coming from the hood. Thought to myself "Come on baby, just a little further." I limped it to the arena going about 50 and coasting where I could. About 100 feet out I started hearing a "tack tack tack tack" noise and just let off the gas and coasted into the driveway. As I went through the threshold of the property the engine just quit......

Then.... The steam and smoke started rolling out of the hood.

I turned everything off and opened the hood and couldn't see a thing. Worried there was going to be some flames, I walked in and got a bucket of water. When I got back I could see that the smoke was from the oil smoldering that was on the engine from over the years and the steam was from the coolant all over the engine bay.

After an hour it cooled down enough for me to take the radiator cap off and it was still full of coolant. In fact, the coolant reservoir was steadily running more fluid in from the hose connected at the top. Every so often things would gurgle and then spit out coolant out the top. After a couple times of that happening and the coolant sizzling on the engine I put the cap back on.

So now, ol' Beast is still sitting at the arena and cooling down and it looks like I'll go back Saturday morning to check things out once it has cooled down.

Now that the story is done, here are my observations and questions.

- I didn't see any busted hoses even though there was coolant EVERYWHERE in the engine bay. But everything was so hot I couldn't touch anything to check for sure.

- Is it possible that the thermostat got stuck closed? Hence why I still have coolant in the lines?

- I'm concerned with the "tack tack tack tack" noise before the engine just stalled. I did NOT attempt to start the truck again. I left it the way it was.

Saturday I'm thinking I need to do a full visual check of everything looking for anything "out of place" and also take a new thermostat and do a coolant flush on the truck before attempting anything.

I'm a little proud that "The Beast" didn't fail me on the side of the road. Also, a little frustrated that this happened when I constantly check the truck over. And finally a little scared I may have caused some damage getting it to a safe place.

I've made sure not to exaggerate anything so I can get objective 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc opinions. :nabble_smiley_unhappy:

Questions, comments, scoldings or your own experiences are welcome. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Bummer. Sorry to hear about the trouble. Did you check the dipstick to see if there was water in the oil?

Thermostats are designed to fail “open” but that does not mean they always do...

If you fill the radiator and go to start it, leave the cap off. If you have a compromised head gasket you will be able to see it.

I had a radiator hose that was rubbing on a bracket in a hard to notice spot. I was on my way to work at a brand new job and had already called off once the first week because of vehicle problems. I was only about a mile away so I just went for it. Steam started coming out from under the hood as I badged through the gate. All I had to do was trim the hose and re-fill the coolant to get me home, but the truck lost coolant ever after that event. I’m 99% sure I cracked a cylinder head (6.9 diesel). No particular relation to your problem, I’m just sharing some understanding about trying to make it where you were going. I do hope yours isn’t too serious...

The fact that you still had coolant in the engine suggests you didn't do like I did and blow a radiator hose and lose everything. That is when an engine gets really hot and, in my limited experience, is when the real damage is done.

But, your gauge did show that the engine was hot, and you had steam, so there was a problem. And the engine stalling was probably due to the clearances getting too small and the friction overcoming the minimal power output at idle.

So, it does seem like a stuck thermostat is a possibility. Another is that you threw a belt and the water pump wasn't turning. So I'd check things over externally, like the belts, and if they appear to be in place and the water pump will turn, change out the thermostat. But I don't know that I'd worry about doing a coolant flush there at the arena.

As for damage to the engine, with coolant in the system there shouldn't have been serious overheating and, therefore, I doubt there will have been serious damage.

Good luck!

I also think thermostat failure is an unlikely cause. That full overflow bottle does make me think blown head gasket.

I've coasted in on a hot engine too, so no scolding!

Well, you guys gave me some directions to look.

If I get a chance to go out there today I'll look at the color/consistency of the Oil and Coolant, visual check of belts and that nothing is locked up for pulleys.

I'll be googling about blown head gaskets today at work.

Well, you guys gave me some directions to look.

If I get a chance to go out there today I'll look at the color/consistency of the Oil and Coolant, visual check of belts and that nothing is locked up for pulleys.

I'll be googling about blown head gaskets today at work.

I wouldn’t get too concerned about the head gasket till you check out the thermostat and water pump. I have never had a thermostat fail open but I have had plenty fail closed.

On the topic of thermostats. I'm replacing mine soon, and have found ford recomends 192° but comparible sizes range from 160-200 with most common either 190° or 195°. Which should i go with?

I use 190's, but newer engines are continually increasing the coolant temp. Seems the manufacturers have found that increasing the temp increases the economy because there's less rejected heat.

What I don't recommend is a cold thermostat, like a 160 or a 180. The colder the coolant the longer it takes to get the engine up to temp so the moisture boils out of the oil. Cold 'stats and short trips are not a good mix.

I use 190's, but newer engines are continually increasing the coolant temp. Seems the manufacturers have found that increasing the temp increases the economy because there's less rejected heat.

What I don't recommend is a cold thermostat, like a 160 or a 180. The colder the coolant the longer it takes to get the engine up to temp so the moisture boils out of the oil. Cold 'stats and short trips are not a good mix.

I would second the 190*-195* models. Anything lower and you don’t get decent heat or window defrosting in the cab.

I wouldn’t get too concerned about the head gasket till you check out the thermostat and water pump. I have never had a thermostat fail open but I have had plenty fail closed.

I've never been so happy to see BLACK oil!!! :nabble_anim_claps:

I checked everything on the engine and it all looked good. Decided to take a chance and crank it a couple times to see if it would start. After the second crank it started right up! It was a little rough as it was running so I quickly popped it up on the two wheel dolly I had so I wouldn't have to push.

I did notice when it was on the dolly and I was securing it that there was coolant leaking from somewhere on the left side of the radiator/hose area. It was getting dark so I'll look at it more this next few days.

So, now it's here at the house. I went to the local car care store today and got a new Thermostat, Upper Hose and Engine Coolant. I have the lower hose being delivered Monday by noon. Just going to swap it all out regardless after troubleshooting.

SUnday/Monday I'm going to get some time to go out and start it up and watch, listen and smell what I can to try to find where it's leaking from. I'm hoping it that the upper hose has a hole, split or leak from the connection to the radiator. Who knows though, it might be the radiator itself.

Great news is that it isn't a blown head gasket or worst at this moment.

I'll update more when I find something out.