Bullnose Forums

Should We Expand Our Scope?

Gary Lewis

I know I have already inserted my opinion, and I don’t want to steamroll those who prefer a strictly Bullnose site... but please consider the following thoughts...

Aside from the merits of scope (large or small), the individuals that Gary named would be valuable assets to this discussion community. A pro welder, a paint/body guy, and a fabricator were mentioned... and they are all wanting to be here because of the members involved, even though there are better sites for their trucks. Forums are on the decline, and knowledgeable, active members are literally the life of the party. I don’t think that making some small adjustments to make these folks feel welcome and “at home” is going to water down the Bullnose focus. It’s not like blowing out the walls of Garagemahal to make room for 50 more years of Fords and hundreds of new members who want to discuss far flung topics. On any given day there are currently maybe a dozen or so active threads? Will off-bodystyle posts really clutter it up that bad? Expanding Garagemahal shop-talk to “Bullnose trucks ...and other fine Fords“ might just bring in the guy who helps you on your project.

I know I have already inserted my opinion, and I don’t want to steamroll those who prefer a strictly Bullnose site... but please consider the following thoughts...

Aside from the merits of scope (large or small), the individuals that Gary named would be valuable assets to this discussion community. A pro welder, a paint/body guy, and a fabricator were mentioned... and they are all wanting to be here because of the members involved, even though there are better sites for their trucks. Forums are on the decline, and knowledgeable, active members are literally the life of the party. I don’t think that making some small adjustments to make these folks feel welcome and “at home” is going to water down the Bullnose focus. It’s not like blowing out the walls of Garagemahal to make room for 50 more years of Fords and hundreds of new members who want to discuss far flung topics. On any given day there are currently maybe a dozen or so active threads? Will off-bodystyle posts really clutter it up that bad? Expanding Garagemahal shop-talk to “Bullnose trucks ...and other fine Fords“ might just bring in the guy who helps you on your project.

I'm with Jonathan. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've done a lot of thinking about it and I've realized that we currently don't have any limits on who joins nor what they post about. Yes, we call it the Bullnose Enthusiast's Forum, but our guidelines don't say "Don't post anything else." And we have people posting about other things besides Bullnose trucks - including me with my Super Bee, 1950 Chevy pickup, my boat, and even my trailer - which has a thread of its own.

One of the moderators on a Facebook page I'm on recently said "Don't post anything here but Bullnose", and removed a post of a neat truck from the 70's. And that saddened me. I just don't understand the need to limit things that precisely. So, we can't talk about Jim's '87 F250? Nor maybe even not Bill's '86 F350 because it has a later interior and front clip? What do we do with '87 to '96 trucks that have a Bullnose front clip - as discussed in our own thread on Converting 87-96 F trucks to Bullnoses? They really aren't Bullnose trucks, they just look like they are. What about Paul's 1980 w/a Cummings? Or, or, or......

I think we are "here" to have fun, share what we are doing, encourage each other, and get suggestions to help solve problems, design things, etc. So I'd rather not put limits on what we can "talk" about, but I do want our talk to be healthy, encouraging, and respectful - which it has been.

Last night I talked with Brandon/Bruno2 and he would like to participate regarding his later trucks, and his son Kris has a 90's and might as well. This morning I talked with some of my friends at church. Steven Fox has a '93 and would like to participate - and he works at a tire and alignment shop and could be a valuable resource that way. Scott Ringler, the welding guy, has a '78 and is willing to participate - and would be a resource on welding, like frame repair. And I might get Ben, the other guy with a '78 to participate, and he's the guy that runs a fabrication shop that will make the rear bumper for Big Blue.

So I'm happy to let others come in as and when they want. Let's help them as best we can, and if there is enough traffic for a specific genre of truck we can hive them off into a separate forum/sub-forum. But I don't see a need to create documentation for them as we've done for the Bullnose - especially since there are plenty of others who've done that. So maybe we should partner with the others and point people there for the documentation and answers to questions they can't get here.

I hope that's ok with everyone. :nabble_smiley_good:

I hesitate to comment as I’m new and don’t feel I have earned the right to comment on these types of subjects. But I would like to say that I was looking for a place like this one for a long time. It seems like all the other Ford/F150 forums cater to all the late model trucks and are useless for anything older. It would be cool to have a place to discuss other projects that I’m sure we all have working. I also feel that if you opened it up to other trucks it would be nice to at least limit it to “twin I beam” trucks.

I agree with ScubaSteve.... having a dedicated forum for Bullnoses is something unique on the internet, and that is rare in this day and age.

However, it's your forum Gary and I'm sure that everyone here will help to share the spirit of the community that you have developed.

:nabble_anim_handshake:

How about a single subforum for all non bullnose for now. That way it allows a space to discuss other models, its a single space so we can all jump over and check in, and should it become too busy it can have sub forums of itself.

You would just include the message that "While this forum is focused on and built around 80-86 ford bullnose, there are many similarities and compatabilities for earlier and later models. While there may be busier forums or forums more focused on YOUR model of ford out there we are more than happy to host you here."

Another thought to add. You can add a subforum for everything nonbullnose related but if people choose to put their thread in the main section instead, its as useful as the "new members" subforum :nabble_smiley_whistling:, and you will have a lot of work on your hands shuffling threads around :nabble_anim_crazy:

Another thought to add. You can add a subforum for everything nonbullnose related but if people choose to put their thread in the main section instead, its as useful as the "new members" subforum :nabble_smiley_whistling:, and you will have a lot of work on your hands shuffling threads around :nabble_anim_crazy:

Since I own a 76 F150 now, I think it would be awesome if you expanded your scope! I would create one sub forum for now, and possibly expand it in the future.

Since I own a 76 F150 now, I think it would be awesome if you expanded your scope! I would create one sub forum for now, and possibly expand it in the future.

Sometimes the intended use for folders isn't as apparent as first thought. :nabble_smiley_wink::nabble_smiley_wink:

As for expanding the scope, it has been. Post away. Once we see how much "other" traffic there is we can gauge how much segregation we need. Right now if we set up a sub-form for "other" you might be lonely. :nabble_smiley_grin:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary, I like your idea of Bumpside, Dentside, and Bullnose. You could add Bricknose to that and maybe a section for diesels. Dan

We will see how it goes. Start small and see what happens. My friend Scott, who has a '78 F150, hit me up Sunday to show him how to use the forum. I hope to do that this weekend and then he can get on and get our help.

And, if it grows we can split them off into their own. But until then we'll keep them here in the main section - or they'll be quite lonely.