Bullnose Forums

Hard starts when hot

mp470

First, your engine is turning over. turning over has nothing to do with starting . .other than if it is not turning over it won't start :) This is a common misuse of the tern "turning over'. You engine is spinning, it is turning over . .it's just not starting. You should not be using the gas pedal when starting a fuel injected engine. Typically heat related starting or even running issues, are electronic in nature.Heat causes extra resistance, can make small breaks in wiring grow to larger gaps, etc. When you turn your engine off, it heat soaks, meaning more heat is present to this components than were present when it was running. I would not suggest just buying parts to try, but if you can find a loaner coil, that is where I would start first, it's easy. Next would be the module inside the distributor.

Helpful stuff, thanks. I'm thinking electronic as well, just wasn't sure where to begin.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's a 1985 EFI. Usually I floor the gas pedal and it starts with a bad struggle after which I have to hold the gas partially down for a minute or two to keep it going otherwise it will stall out.

My wife's 2001 Ford Mustang was doing that, and the problem turned out to be a bad idle air control valve. In order to start the engine, I had to give it gas as if it had a carburetor.

My wife's 2001 Ford Mustang was doing that, and the problem turned out to be a bad idle air control valve. In order to start the engine, I had to give it gas as if it had a carburetor.

Thank you, that actually makes a lot of sense. I will try to simulate it by unplugging the valve.

That is a port fuel injection engine. tThe IAC dithers to allow air in during idle . . when the throttle plate in the TB is totally shut.

That is a port fuel injection engine. tThe IAC dithers to allow air in during idle . . when the throttle plate in the TB is totally shut.

I knew that too, so I'm a bit red-faced on this one. Of course unplugging that valve recreated the issue exactly.

I knew that too, so I'm a bit red-faced on this one. Of course unplugging that valve recreated the issue exactly.

Well I'm getting somewhere. Went for a long drive. Ground side lights up very dim on the connection to that valve. Now to find where it grounds.

Thanks Gary, looks like it's ground switched by the ECA. I wonder if it's supposed to light up dim while not in operation.

Let's make sure my understanding of "lights up dim" is correct. Your trouble light? If so, probably yes. Battery voltage is supplied to the various components and then the computer grounds them when it wants them to activate. That creates a current flow and they do their thing. So if you put a trouble light on the ground, or computer, side of any of the components then you will have voltage when the thing isn't activated.

Let's make sure my understanding of "lights up dim" is correct. Your trouble light? If so, probably yes. Battery voltage is supplied to the various components and then the computer grounds them when it wants them to activate. That creates a current flow and they do their thing. So if you put a trouble light on the ground, or computer, side of any of the components then you will have voltage when the thing isn't activated.

Basically, it's a LED test light that lights up green for ground (hooked to battery +) and red for power (hooked to battery -). Any other body ground lights up nice and bright green, while this IAC ground is very dim. At least it was after that long drive.