Bullnose Forums

The Forum Isn't Secure - Is That An Issue?

Google is upping its push to get every website in the world to HTTPS, meaning secure communications to/from. Our site and forum are not secure. I can turn security on for the website, but the forum has to be secure first or it won't work.

Nabble, the outfit that provides the forum, has turned security on for several sites, but some are having trouble. Nabble is working through the issues, but there are still some gotcha's.

So I'd like to hang back and let those riding point collect all the arrows. That's 'cause I know there's nothing that warrants security on here. But, does the fact that Google keeps displaying the warning below on your page worry you?

Not_Secure.jpg.66e376df2247c18eb1a5c8461b9b1bd2.jpg

I don’t see a warning... but I typically use Safari on my phone. I don’t think it’s a big issue and I agree that it’s better to hold off and wait for Nabble to work the bugs out before switching to the secure format.

Ok, then I won't worry about it because you aren't worried about it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But BuggTruck was right - the transmissions to/fro are not encrypted, so when you log on your password is transmitted "in the clear" and can be read. So you might not want to use the same p/w here as on your bank, or Amazon, etc.

However, we will need to go to HTTPS at some point, and the sooner the better. Google has stated that they are not presenting sites that haven't gone secure in all search results. And you can see that our site isn't being presented (impressions) nor clicked on nearly as much as it was just over a month ago. We were growing pretty significantly then, but aren't now.

Google_Search_Results_as_of_110118.thumb.jpg.c7c5510c4431c955b8447536c1237872.jpg

Ok, then I won't worry about it because you aren't worried about it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But BuggTruck was right - the transmissions to/fro are not encrypted, so when you log on your password is transmitted "in the clear" and can be read. So you might not want to use the same p/w here as on your bank, or Amazon, etc.

However, we will need to go to HTTPS at some point, and the sooner the better. Google has stated that they are not presenting sites that haven't gone secure in all search results. And you can see that our site isn't being presented (impressions) nor clicked on nearly as much as it was just over a month ago. We were growing pretty significantly then, but aren't now.

I agree, waiting for the bugs to be sorted out is a good idea.