Bullnose Forums

1983 F250 6.9 NorCal

Wow. I really wish that was in my area... it’s actually in pretty decent shape and for the money you can’t beat it....

So many owners make the rookie mistake of removing the injection pump gear and cover to get the pump off... and if they made that mistake they definitely don’t know how to re-time it. That’s why I recently posted a link on how to do it without taking the engine apart. A person can find a frustrated owner like this and get a great deal! It’s a beautiful truck, I hope someone fixes it instead of parting it out 😥

It seems like 90% of the Bullnose diesels I find for sale either "need work" or are not running at all...lol. I guess, they were more than likely all purchased as work vehicles, and thus run long and hard until they quit.

When I bought my diesel I made all the common mistakes and it drove me nuts. They are very simple to work on, but if you don’t know the basics they will seem like the most unreliable nightmare you’ve ever owned. Most of the time they don’t need actual work, they just need maintenance. The engines themselves can run a half million miles before needing a rebuild. Unfortunately in the wrong hands the usually last much less. I include myself in that group, but I am now the wiser for all of my mistakes.

It seems like 90% of the Bullnose diesels I find for sale either "need work" or are not running at all...lol. I guess, they were more than likely all purchased as work vehicles, and thus run long and hard until they quit.

When I bought my diesel I made all the common mistakes and it drove me nuts. They are very simple to work on, but if you don’t know the basics they will seem like the most unreliable nightmare you’ve ever owned. Most of the time they don’t need actual work, they just need maintenance. The engines themselves can run a half million miles before needing a rebuild. Unfortunately in the wrong hands the usually last much less. I include myself in that group, but I am now the wiser for all of my mistakes.

It does need some work, but for $450 it is a steal.

Jonathan - No joy on finding the author of that timing procedure? I looked and found a zillion places it is posted, so should I go ahead and add it?

It does need some work, but for $450 it is a steal.

Jonathan - No joy on finding the author of that timing procedure? I looked and found a zillion places it is posted, so should I go ahead and add it?

Usually if the price is low they are up front about the timing issue they are not using it to hide something else horrible. In most of these cases I would say if you had a known-good injection pump in hand you could show up with some tools and drive it away. I would say “hear it run first” but the price might change!

Yup, I had an 88 with the 7.3. Finally got the glow plug system working good. Replaced the pump got it "close" and had my mechanic time it.

I asked was it close, he says no!