Bullnose Forums

Questions on door speaker sizing

Rembrant

When I did Darth's cab, I also had a factory pad over the exhaust area. I retained that as it was (a) glued down and (b) in good condition. A co-worker in the lab was building a retirement home West of Richmond VA and had a bunch of left over thermal barrier that he gave me. I ran a strip of it along the top of the exhaust pad, another across the rear footwell area and then did the front footwells. I did not add any over the transmission cover or under the seats. Even on a long highway run in hot weather the passenger side (where the exhaust pipes run) stayed comfortable.

Old pad visible, wiring is for right rear window and locks

Driver's side insulation

Rear footwell and exhaust insulation

Closer view of rear footwell and exhaust insulation

Passenger side insulation

Between this and the later doors having some sound deadening insulation, newer door weatherstrip and strikers, the cab is comfortable and pretty quiet. I used the 1996 speakers in the doors, but at first used my original 1986 speakers. One thing the newer doors use is a foam "seal" around the outer edge of the speakers that seats against the back of the door cards where the speaker grille is.

Bill- a couple questions :

Was your cab floor rust free, or are we seeing primer there?

Did you use adhesive under the thermal barrier, or did it stay in place with the weight of the carpet?

Did you use carpet with a jute or latex backing, and did it fit well with the barrier under?

I guess that's actually 3 questions...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my input on your speaker sizing:

I bought 6.5 inch speakers for my 83 f-150 single cab over the summer. The door speaker holes were drilled with holes not in a normal circular pattern, so I had to drill a few of my own that were just small enough for the screws to get a grip in.

With the extra 2 holes per side drilled the speakers fit well -- but watch your clearance between the cone of the speaker and the plastic door panel itself. Mine touch the door panel, but only barely.

Here's my input on your speaker sizing:

I bought 6.5 inch speakers for my 83 f-150 single cab over the summer. The door speaker holes were drilled with holes not in a normal circular pattern, so I had to drill a few of my own that were just small enough for the screws to get a grip in.

With the extra 2 holes per side drilled the speakers fit well -- but watch your clearance between the cone of the speaker and the plastic door panel itself. Mine touch the door panel, but only barely.

Thanks Jake.

You guys have all been a great help. 6.5" will work...that's exactly what I needed to know.

Got replaced mine with 6 1/2 and they sound great. I decided to go with all Kicker from Crutchfield.com and haven't been disappointed. Below is all that I purchased.

- Kicker 41DSC654 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers

- XTC 6-1/2-inch pair Slim Speaker Baffles

Let me know if you want any other info.

Excellent, thank you for the info. I went and looked at your pics as well. So the speaker fit into the recess in the door OK? I guess in that case I can just go with 6.5" speakers if I know they fit OK.

I have 6 1/2" Pioneer 3 way speakers in my doors.

'80 F150 reg cab

Rembrant, you are the man! I am tackling my door skins (along with too many other things) and I was thinking of going ahead and replacing the speaker and insulation at the same time. The panels are in rough shape so I am actually going to recondition them.

Thanks to all that chimed in here! This is exactly the information I was looking for!! :nabble_smiley_good::nabble_smiley_good:

• 10 months later...

What are all of the components of your system?

Just a Kenwood single din media player head unit and a pair of Kenwood 6.5” speakers for the doors.

Hope you were careful, all the white “insulation” over your exhaust was looks like asbestos. Probably highly worn and friable, but it was often in a bag of sorts. A little probably won’t kill you but it’s always good to be safe :)

Hope you were careful, all the white “insulation” over your exhaust was looks like asbestos. Probably highly worn and friable, but it was often in a bag of sorts. A little probably won’t kill you but it’s always good to be safe :)

Yeah, it was in a bag...you can see it in the picture. AS for being careful, I'm not so sure...lol, but it's long gone now.