Bullnose Forums

Questions on door speaker sizing

Rembrant

Question Mark & The Mysterians belting out 96 Tears ...

lol, now there's one I haven't heard in a long LONG time. The band came and went before I was even born, but I grew up on AM radio and they played a lot of 60's stuff. I don't think I've heard that song in 25 years.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question Mark & The Mysterians belting out 96 Tears ...

lol, now there's one I haven't heard in a long LONG time. The band came and went before I was even born, but I grew up on AM radio and they played a lot of 60's stuff. I don't think I've heard that song in 25 years.

I'm listening to 60's On 6 on SiriusXM, and that was playing.

Scott - Do you read lips? :nabble_anim_blbl:

Not when I do this

:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

@TheScatch - keep us updated on what HU you go with and how it works out. The capabilities of them now are crazy.

I'm pretty set on trying to find a retro style radio with modern options like bluetooth to go into the truck.

I have been eyeballing this guy for some time:

radio.png.ed04f3e62d748291450a28a81193303b.png

It does not come with a face plate, and my truck has a DIN not the two holes in the bezel. So I will have to fab up a ABS plate of my own.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1980-1986-ford-truck-radio-usa-630.html

I'm pretty set on trying to find a retro style radio with modern options like bluetooth to go into the truck.

I have been eyeballing this guy for some time:

It does not come with a face plate, and my truck has a DIN not the two holes in the bezel. So I will have to fab up a ABS plate of my own.

https://www.classiccarstereos.com/1980-1986-ford-truck-radio-usa-630.html

I'm surprised that they are marketing it as a "1980-1986 Ford Truck Radio" when there are two very different openings and mounting systems used: 1980 - 84; and 1985 & 6. I think I'd be pretty upset if I bought it for an '85 or '6 thinking it would fit right in.

Have you checked to see how big the faceplate on it is? If I remember correctly the original 1980 - 84 radio faceplates were too tall to fit in the DIN opening of '85-6. I can check that later if you want.

You could go to the earlier bezel with the larger opening, but if you have a burled wood bezel on the instrument panel you are stuck as there isn't a burled wood radio bezel with the larger opening.

I'm surprised that they are marketing it as a "1980-1986 Ford Truck Radio" when there are two very different openings and mounting systems used: 1980 - 84; and 1985 & 6. I think I'd be pretty upset if I bought it for an '85 or '6 thinking it would fit right in.

Have you checked to see how big the faceplate on it is? If I remember correctly the original 1980 - 84 radio faceplates were too tall to fit in the DIN opening of '85-6. I can check that later if you want.

You could go to the earlier bezel with the larger opening, but if you have a burled wood bezel on the instrument panel you are stuck as there isn't a burled wood radio bezel with the larger opening.

You know I didn't think about this until I was making that last post. I need to check to see what the dimensions are. I had emailed the company ages ago asking if they sold a faceplate with it. They responded no it attaches to the bezel. I sent them a picture showing them that not all trucks had that set up and a lot of bezels are din style.

I was under the impression I could make my own face-plate for this to fit into a DIN opening. Now I need to go check dimensions.

You know I didn't think about this until I was making that last post. I need to check to see what the dimensions are. I had emailed the company ages ago asking if they sold a faceplate with it. They responded no it attaches to the bezel. I sent them a picture showing them that not all trucks had that set up and a lot of bezels are din style.

I was under the impression I could make my own face-plate for this to fit into a DIN opening. Now I need to go check dimensions.

OK so a din is 2 1/8" x 7 1/8"

The stats on this retro stereo (I'm a sucker for retro Ford Scripting)

knob to knob 5 3/4"

Opening height says 2 5/8"

BUT

According to the paperwork the USA-630 has Chassis dimensions of:

2" x 7 3/4"

So sounds like a wash on a din unless you mounted it from the back only and did a custom installation. They have some din units but not that Ford script.

Also found a link for a custom sized one.

Fordradio.png.4542cb79bf6ebff4cd67de7c55072c2f.png

OK so a din is 2 1/8" x 7 1/8"

The stats on this retro stereo (I'm a sucker for retro Ford Scripting)

knob to knob 5 3/4"

Opening height says 2 5/8"

BUT

According to the paperwork the USA-630 has Chassis dimensions of:

2" x 7 3/4"

So sounds like a wash on a din unless you mounted it from the back only and did a custom installation. They have some din units but not that Ford script.

Also found a link for a custom sized one.

Yes, Houston, I think there's a problem. Here are my measurements:

1981 radio: Nose is 2 15/16" high and 4 1/2" wide. And knobs are on 5 3/4" centers.

1981 bezel opening: 2 1/2" x 4 1/8"

DIN bezel opening: 2 3/16" x 7"

Ne'er the twain shall meet.

As said, I'd be pretty upset if I bought that for an '85 or '6. It is not advertised correctly.