Bullnose Forums

Questions on door speaker sizing

Rembrant

Scott - I should have cranked up the sound system in the shop over the weekend. The Bose speakers have a center channel speaker wired exactly that way. It works pretty well.

Always next year! :nabble_smiley_happy:

I am taking this further into the audiophile realm than needed (and in which I don't belong since even a bucket won't help me carry a tune) but it's an interesting discussion to me.

That config would be:

LEFT -- driver -- MONO -- Passenger -- RIGHT

So there would still be the situation where the driver would hear the left channel out of both ears. Right?

But if you say it sounds good and TheScatch goes that route and reports back in the positive, and if I can find the 5x7 from Camano (was installed but not wired) I might give it a shot.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always next year! :nabble_smiley_happy:

I am taking this further into the audiophile realm than needed (and in which I don't belong since even a bucket won't help me carry a tune) but it's an interesting discussion to me.

That config would be:

LEFT -- driver -- MONO -- Passenger -- RIGHT

So there would still be the situation where the driver would hear the left channel out of both ears. Right?

But if you say it sounds good and TheScatch goes that route and reports back in the positive, and if I can find the 5x7 from Camano (was installed but not wired) I might give it a shot.

Your illustration is correct. But I don't think the driver will ever hear the left channel out of both ears, nor will the passenger hear the right channel out of both ears. That's because the center speaker is limited to what is common to both left and right channels. So if it is only in the left channel you won't hear it from the center speaker. Ditto for the right channel.

Your illustration is correct. But I don't think the driver will ever hear the left channel out of both ears, nor will the passenger hear the right channel out of both ears. That's because the center speaker is limited to what is common to both left and right channels. So if it is only in the left channel you won't hear it from the center speaker. Ditto for the right channel.

Could always use that space to mount something cool like a UHF reciever or an exhaust fan lol... Or a speaker for a CB lol

You guys have me curious...

Since my truck was a radio delete model, there were no speakers, no wiring, no brackets, conduits, etc, etc.

I bought a stereo and a set of 6.5" speakers for the doors.

Would there be much benefit in me also installing a center speaker? And, what does it attach to?...last time I looked behind the radio delete bezel, it was just a massive empty cavern...

You guys have me curious...

Since my truck was a radio delete model, there were no speakers, no wiring, no brackets, conduits, etc, etc.

I bought a stereo and a set of 6.5" speakers for the doors.

Would there be much benefit in me also installing a center speaker? And, what does it attach to?...last time I looked behind the radio delete bezel, it was just a massive empty cavern...

Yes, I think there's a benefit. And you need the thing on the left, and it mounts as shown on the right. But I don't have an extra as the one on the left goes in Dad's truck and the one on the right is in Big Blue.

Center_Speaker_Mount.thumb.jpg.1065ff36cbfd3979228d3dc5dbb5a041.jpgDSCN4426.thumb.jpg.59438ca32100c484bad5f9620855129b.jpg

Yes, I think there's a benefit. And you need the thing on the left, and it mounts as shown on the right. But I don't have an extra as the one on the left goes in Dad's truck and the one on the right is in Big Blue.

Should be able to just pop the pad off and see the bracket Gary provided.

Unless we are talking about a true center (dsp), I vote for no benefit (detriment actually) so we need you or TheScatch to try it and break the tie :nabble_smiley_grin:

Should be able to just pop the pad off and see the bracket Gary provided.

Unless we are talking about a true center (dsp), I vote for no benefit (detriment actually) so we need you or TheScatch to try it and break the tie :nabble_smiley_grin:

Scott - Do you read lips? :nabble_anim_blbl:

I was once into true high-end stereo equipment. My Miata had an Eclipse system, including fiber optics from the head unit to the DSP unit in the trunk, and that produced the center channel signal to the Boston Acoustics speaker on the back of the rear view mirror, which bounced the sound off the windshield. BA 3-ways in the doors and rear channels in the head rests finished out the system - all driven by Eclipse amps. And the sound was tailored by a 9-band parametric equalizer, which was automagically set initially with a mike held at the driver's head position.

It worked extremely well. In Blue Raincoat you could close your eyes and "see" Jennifer Warnes standing on the hood due to the center channel. So I know what a true center channel sounds like. And what I've suggested won't create that. :nabble_smiley_evil:

But, standing in front of these Bose speakers and listening to Question Mark & The Mysterians belting out 96 Tears I can tell that the center channel is there. Placing my head half way between the left and center speakers still gives me some stereo, and ditto between center and right - which approximates the position of the driver's and passenger's heads, respectively.

Give it a try - it won't cost much. :nabble_smiley_wink: