Bullnose Forums

Questions on door speaker sizing

Rembrant

Hope you were careful, all the white “insulation” over your exhaust was looks like asbestos. Probably highly worn and friable, but it was often in a bag of sorts. A little probably won’t kill you but it’s always good to be safe :)

Yeah, it was in a bag...you can see it in the picture. AS for being careful, I'm not so sure...lol, but it's long gone now.

you guys ever decide on speaker wire gauge? I am getting ready to start reassembling my door skins and figured speakers should go in now rather than taking them apart and doing it later.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys ever decide on speaker wire gauge? I am getting ready to start reassembling my door skins and figured speakers should go in now rather than taking them apart and doing it later.

I'm just going to use 18ga. The new speakers came with wire pigtails, and they're smaller than 18...so I'm sure 18 is fine, at least for mine.

I'm just going to use 18ga. The new speakers came with wire pigtails, and they're smaller than 18...so I'm sure 18 is fine, at least for mine.

Sorry, never got back to you.

With just a HU and the door speakers, no longer than the run is, 18 is fine.

If you had to order wire and didn't already have the 18 on hand, I'd go with 16 but again, not necessary.

Sorry, never got back to you.

With just a HU and the door speakers, no longer than the run is, 18 is fine.

If you had to order wire and didn't already have the 18 on hand, I'd go with 16 but again, not necessary.

you guy's established 6.5 for the doors.

The speaker in the dash is what I also need to replace. From what I gather it is a 5 x 7 dual voice coil speaker. Those seem to be practically a specialty item now a days. Or would any 5 x 7 work rather than "dual voice coil" I really have no idea on this stuff lol.

Also found amazon is making OFC 14g speaker cable for about $20 for 100ft rolls.

you guy's established 6.5 for the doors.

The speaker in the dash is what I also need to replace. From what I gather it is a 5 x 7 dual voice coil speaker. Those seem to be practically a specialty item now a days. Or would any 5 x 7 work rather than "dual voice coil" I really have no idea on this stuff lol.

Also found amazon is making OFC 14g speaker cable for about $20 for 100ft rolls.

Do you need the dash speaker? If you are attune to that stuff, it can cause some odd stereo effects for driver and passenger.

Do you need the dash speaker? If you are attune to that stuff, it can cause some odd stereo effects for driver and passenger.

Care to expand?

Again this is new territory for me. I'm pretty sure that speaker wasn't working when I got the truck. I guess I could test it out or leave it dead... mount a little dc exhaust fan there for the new stereo lol.

Reading this thread it looks like I will be getting 3 way 6.5 inch speakers for the doors.

Care to expand?

Again this is new territory for me. I'm pretty sure that speaker wasn't working when I got the truck. I guess I could test it out or leave it dead... mount a little dc exhaust fan there for the new stereo lol.

Reading this thread it looks like I will be getting 3 way 6.5 inch speakers for the doors.

I like a center speaker, but I don't wire it the way the factory did - and they didn't put a center speaker in a truck with door speakers if I remember correctly.

Ford's center speakers were mono, as were the radios that drove them. But if you have a stereo head unit and, therefore, door speakers you can wire the center speaker as a center channel by giving it the negative lead from one side of the stereo and the positive lead from the other. That way things that are in both channels come out of the center speaker as well, but things that are only in the left or right don't.

I like a center speaker, but I don't wire it the way the factory did - and they didn't put a center speaker in a truck with door speakers if I remember correctly.

Ford's center speakers were mono, as were the radios that drove them. But if you have a stereo head unit and, therefore, door speakers you can wire the center speaker as a center channel by giving it the negative lead from one side of the stereo and the positive lead from the other. That way things that are in both channels come out of the center speaker as well, but things that are only in the left or right don't.

OK so this is making more sense to me. The PO had some aftermarket 4 inch speakers held in with two screws, and sloppy wiring cut through the body plugs. I bought the flex tube for between the door and the body with plans on running door speakers. I like your idea of running it as a center out. With that I should be able to get any old 5x7 speaker, which seems to be still harder a find than say 6x9 or 6x8

Care to expand?

If you wire it in a standard dvc config (stereo) the driver will have L on one side and L+R on the other. Passenger would be opposite.

... you can wire the center speaker as a center channel by giving it the negative lead from one side of the stereo and the positive lead from the other. That way things that are in both channels come out of the center speaker as well, but things that are only in the left or right don't.

I've heard of people doing that in high school but I've never heard it in person (or am not attune enough to know...). I am not positive that it won't play L-only and R-only output, I thought that required a dsp.

Regardless on whether it's a true center or not, if you want a center speaker without a more complicated setup then that sounds like a valid plan. People hear/tolerate things differently so you can always run it for awhile and then unplug the center to see what sounds best to you.

Care to expand?

If you wire it in a standard dvc config (stereo) the driver will have L on one side and L+R on the other. Passenger would be opposite.

... you can wire the center speaker as a center channel by giving it the negative lead from one side of the stereo and the positive lead from the other. That way things that are in both channels come out of the center speaker as well, but things that are only in the left or right don't.

I've heard of people doing that in high school but I've never heard it in person (or am not attune enough to know...). I am not positive that it won't play L-only and R-only output, I thought that required a dsp.

Regardless on whether it's a true center or not, if you want a center speaker without a more complicated setup then that sounds like a valid plan. People hear/tolerate things differently so you can always run it for awhile and then unplug the center to see what sounds best to you.

Scott - I should have cranked up the sound system in the shop over the weekend. The Bose speakers have a center channel speaker wired exactly that way. It works pretty well.