Bullnose Forum

Rear differential questions 9" vs 8.8

Rembrant

Cory - I'll look some more. Surely I can find it.

Gary,

Don't waste any time at all looking. I thought if it was something right at your finger tips, no big deal, but don't bother hunting for it. I can harass the guys at the Ford parts counter no worries at all;).

Here's a pic from the web. I put an arrow to point at the little tab/clip/bracket thingy.

It holds the passenger side e-brake cable in the front, and the passenger side brake line in the rear above the diff cover.

I'm sure I can get the guys at the Ford dealer to look it up for me, but as soon as I say the words "1984" to them, I can see their eyes gloss over and they lose interest very quickly...lol. This part should be the same all through the 1990's and well into the 2000's.

rearend8.jpg

I had a 1987 Toyota Fourunner, the guys at the dealership here would run! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Cory - I'll look some more. Surely I can find it.

Gary,

Don't waste any time at all looking. I thought if it was something right at your finger tips, no big deal, but don't bother hunting for it. I can harass the guys at the Ford parts counter no worries at all;).

Clip N804729-S11

https://supermotors.net/getfile/283545/thumbnail/parkingbrakecables.jpg

I had a 1987 Toyota Fourunner, the guys at the dealership here would run! :nabble_smiley_scared:

Haha...god love them, I know they have a job to do, and they're usually busy enough they don't have time to be looking up obsolete parts for a guy like me, but sometimes the parts are still available. I just ordered a coolant temp sensor not long ago.

As soon as I say "1984", they let out a sigh and a groan like I just ruined 30 minutes of their day, and then they'll reluctantly start searching for my part. There is one guy at one of the Ford dealers that I'm convinced he doesn't even really look for me...he just sits at the computer for 45 seconds and then says it's obsolete...lol.

So, most of the time I try to find the part number online before I even go in there.

Thanks again to those that DO help! It IS appreciated.

Haha...god love them, I know they have a job to do, and they're usually busy enough they don't have time to be looking up obsolete parts for a guy like me, but sometimes the parts are still available. I just ordered a coolant temp sensor not long ago.

As soon as I say "1984", they let out a sigh and a groan like I just ruined 30 minutes of their day, and then they'll reluctantly start searching for my part. There is one guy at one of the Ford dealers that I'm convinced he doesn't even really look for me...he just sits at the computer for 45 seconds and then says it's obsolete...lol.

So, most of the time I try to find the part number online before I even go in there.

Well done, Steve!

I've searched and "N804729" doesn't seem to show up in the 1980 - 89 catalog, neither in the text part nor in the illustrations. I say "doesn't seem to" since I OCR'd the files and there's a chance that the OCR engine missed it or thought it said something else. But.....

Well done, Steve!

I've searched and "N804729" doesn't seem to show up in the 1980 - 89 catalog, neither in the text part nor in the illustrations. I say "doesn't seem to" since I OCR'd the files and there's a chance that the OCR engine missed it or thought it said something else. But.....

I'm not sure where I got that diagram & PN, but it looks like one of the Ford disks. I just changed computers, so I don't have any of them installed on this one yet to re-check.

Fortunately I know the Ford parts guy here, he'll look for me. The guy he has helping really tries too. They had a guy there for awhile and I would ask for the guy I knew, if he was out I would say he's working on something for me and come back later.

You're right they're busy and such, but I used to work at a NAPA, and the guy who owned it would try everything before he said he couldn't get something.

Gary,

Would you happen to know what the part number is for this little bracket? It bolts to the top of the 8.8 rear diff, and the emergency brake cable fits in one end, and the hard brake line in the other. I'm sure this part was used well into the 2000's, if not right up to today (Is the 8.8 rear diff still in production?). I checked the junkyard, and I could see them on the diffs of mid-2000's pickups, but like everything else around here, they were all rusted to pieces.

Can't see in the pic below, but mine is broken where the hard brake line mounts, and I want to order a new one.

That clip was used at least through '96 (with the addition of a hole for the ABS sensor wiring retainer; and probably later) on all solid 8.8s (& possibly on later 9.75s), so it should be VERY easy-to-find in JYs. If yours are all rusted, I'm sure some of us can find them. I'll try to remember to look in my junkpile tomorrow...

That clip was used at least through '96 (with the addition of a hole for the ABS sensor wiring retainer; and probably later) on all solid 8.8s (& possibly on later 9.75s), so it should be VERY easy-to-find in JYs. If yours are all rusted, I'm sure some of us can find them. I'll try to remember to look in my junkpile tomorrow...

Steve,

I checked with the dealer and of course the part is long obsolete. Anything from a junkyard will be rusted beyond use. There are two 1996 F150's at the junkyard I usually go to, and one of them is so rusty underneath that the M5OD crossmember is broken off the frame on the driver's side.

In any case, it's not a big deal. I'm just going to add one of those little rubber lined clamps to the end of it for the brake line. Nobody will see it anyway.

I'm ordering all new brake components hopefully today, so if all goes well I can get this stuff all buttoned up in a couple weeks.