Bullnose Forum

Dot Doitall Build Thread

Littlebeefy

great looking bronco!  

I have a theory though. the strait axle is suspended by the radius arms equally. sitting on springs equally yet the track bar is at a steep angle. this will create an arc of movement which will push or pull the axle left or right depending on articulation.  depending on how you drive, this may or may not affect your handling. mid-range of the arc of movement "should" be parallel with /to the axle to minimize this.

17 hours ago, mat in tn said:

great looking bronco!  

I have a theory though. the strait axle is suspended by the radius arms equally. sitting on springs equally yet the track bar is at a steep angle. this will create an arc of movement which will push or pull the axle left or right depending on articulation.  depending on how you drive, this may or may not affect your handling. mid-range of the arc of movement "should" be parallel with /to the axle to minimize this.

The track bar and drag link are supposed to sit exactly parallel. With radius arms, as the axle shifts left or right under rise or fall of the frame, the drag link stays parallel and the tie rod doesn’t move. If you have leaf springs, the compression of the suspension would change the angle of the drag link and cause the tie rod to shift, right? Seems like handling with the radius arms would be BETTER than with the leaf springs because you wouldn’t get the bump steer. 

I'm studying the picture a bit more. i see the draglink between the tie rod ends being parallel to the axle. but the link between the pitman arm and the drag link is at a steep angle.  its far beyond a neutral arc of movement.  I'm not actually seeing a track bar. and it looks as though you do not have a drop pitman arm. that would lessen the steep angle.