Bullnose Forum

How to Access the Crank Shaft?

Lincoln

• Lincoln changed the title to How to Access the Crank Shaft?

the bottom belt pulley is the crankshaft pulley. use a 15/16 deep well socket or a short socket with a 2" extension and a breaker bar. turn engine clockwise as that's the rotation its intended. 4.9 is rather safe to turn either way but it's a good standard practice to only rotate an engine in its intended rotation. much more important with modern overhead cam engines. 

I always use my flex head ratchet and the 15/16 deep socket from underneath. I usually have to fight the fan blades on every rotation, ensure the fan blades are pushed back every time. This was a challenge the very first time I tried this, but I'm so used to it now...

And don't forget to remove the ratchet before starting the engine... don't ask how I know (DAHIK 😁)... well I'll just say. The times I had the ratchet opposing the engine rotation, luckily it just slung out thankfully with a bang. The times it was in the same direction, I just heard what looked like flexplate noise. I had assumed something was seriously wrong, the ratchet was just ratcheting the whole 20 minutes I was trying to debug the noise. Yes I wonder at those times if I should be doing mechanical work with my absent mindedness. :nabble_anim_crazy:

Edited by viven44

I don't have to manually crank my engine as Lincoln, but I'm curious:

• Did I read somewhere (Gary?) to pull out the plugs and pour a bit of oil in each cylinder, before attempting to turn the engine?
  • What else than pulling off the plugs, in order to prepare such manual rotation?
    • Unplug the battery?
    • Put the tranny on neutral?
    • Any other step?