Bullnose Forum

Bad Sending Unit?

1985 Bronco

I've had my truck torn apart to patch the floors for a couple weeks. I just riveted in some sheet metal (no welding). Battery was disconnected the whole time. Now my fuel gauge is reading incorrectly. The needle moves, but it only goes to about the 1/4 mark when the tank is full. The only wiring I disturbed was the wires running under the sill plate on the driver's side, but I don't think that has anything to do with the fuel gauge? 

Is this a random coincidence, and my sending unit just failed? Or are the wires under the still plate related to the fuel gauge somehow? 

10 minutes ago, Gary Lewis said:

I think it is a coincidence.  But take the wire off the sending unit and ground it.  Turn the key on and in a few seconds the gauge should go to full scale.  If so the problem is the sending unit.

Thank you, that is a good test. I'll check it out tonight

On 10/14/2024 at 11:38 AM, 1985 Bronco said:

The only wiring I disturbed was the wires running under the sill plate on the driver's side, but I don't think that has anything to do with the fuel gauge? 

Is this a random coincidence, and my sending unit just failed? Or are the wires under the still plate related to the fuel gauge somehow?