Bullnose Forum

Fuel & Oil Cooler Lines For Dad's Truck

Gary Lewis

1. Everything that looks like stainless braided hose really is. The waterneck is AN and the radiator input is also converted using a special fitting that Aeroflow sells. I think the radiator hose is 20 AN. The heater core inlet an outlet are also converted to AN using a Aeroflow part. The heater hoses are either 10 or 12 AN but I just don’t remember. All of that is Aeroflow. Check out autoplumb.com too because that seems to be something they focus on. 

2. The hose on the PS valve cover is indeed PCV. It goes to the underside of the air cleaner. No carb; I’m running a Pro Flo 4 MPFI. Aeroflow sells a push in AN adapter for the valve cover.

3. I love my hydroboost. Pulled it off a 97 F450. I paid some old-schooler $60 to rebuild it and haven’t had any issues with it at all. I’m big on having good brakes and that PB system feels like a modern brake pedal. It helps to have the proper brake pedal. I’m running a 1.125 bore MC with discs front and rear (Huge Brakes up front, of course). It stops like a modern F150 without a doubt.

4. I didn’t tee the Saginaw. I bought a heavy duty pump from Borgeson so it didn’t require a tee. That’s my recollection but I’d need to look in the bay to verify. I’m in Milwaukee for work until Thursday but I can shoot you some picks when I get home. 

5. It’s an EFI so there are two fuel lines. Both attach at the fuel rail, one on the PS and one on the DS. The return side on the DS comes out of the fuel pressure regulator. The red silicone line coming out of the fuel pressure regulator goes to the intake for reference vacuum. The fuel filter is on the frame just in front of the fuel tank so you can’t see it in this picture. The pump is in the tank. 

Let me know if you have other questions. I can shoot specific pics of something if you want.  Happy to help if I can.

Thinking a bit more about this and doing some reading I've found this info:

• How To Install Braided Hose Fittings @ Speedflow: It says "What you read here can be applied to Stainless Steel braided hose, Aeroquip Startlite hose and Nylon braided hose and their respective hose fittings."  And "Most of you will have this equipment in your garage or workshop."  Having said that, they suggest having soft jaws for your vice, but they say "Vice Jaws. Speedflow will supply these free of charge with hose fitting orders over £60.00 net."  But note the Pound Sterling currency figure - they aren't in Kansas, Toto.

• Braided Hose Assembly With AN Fittings @ Summit: This is a good video that goes nicely with the how-to on the Speedflow page.  However, Speedflow mentions having a piece of tape around the back side of the AN fitting with a mark on it to let you visually see that the hose isn't backing out of the socket, and I like that.  And Summit also mentions having soft jaws in your vise to protect the fitting, which I like - save for the Mr Gasket logo on them.

• How To Install Braided Hose Fittings @ Hot Rod Network: Another good video.  They also use soft jaws in the vise, but they also use Koul Tools 681 AN Hose Assembly Tool which does 6, 8, & 10  hose sizes and costs $79.  The writeup on Amazon says: "Since the invention of braided, stainless steel hose, racers and mechanics have been struggling to install it into the socket part of the AN hose assembly. If you're lucky and get a clean cut on the hose end, you might get it in. Most of the time the hose end is a bit fuzzy and the battle begins. It is not only time consuming, it can get bloody as well. The AN Hose Assembly Tool fills a need that was long overdue. Just insert the socket into the capsule of the hose assembly tool, twist in the hose, and the assembly is complete in less than ten seconds. There's no need to worry about wear or tear. This tool is made of a high-tech composite and is virtually indestructible. You can even repeat this process several times without re-cutting this hose end. You'll be amazed at the amount of time you save and pain you avoid by using this tool. Gone are the days of stabbing your fingers with frayed hose ends and scrapping AN hose because it was cut too short. The money you save from buying band-aids alone will pay for the tool." 

As for soft jaws, my vise is a 5" model and here's a few of them on Amazon