Bullnose Forum

Measurement Needed - Radiator Mounting Bolts 85-86

salans7

I am working on installing the mounts for an 85-86 gas radiator into an 80-84 gas core support, and just need to know where the holes for the radiator mounting bolts should go. I have tons of pictures, but it's hard to judge for sure where they need to go so a measurement would be super helpful. 

A measurement from the center A/C condenser mounting bolt to the radiator mounting bolt would be great. One from the center of the radiator mounting bolt to the top of the radiator support would also be appreciated. To be safe, I would likely need a measurement for both sides in case there's a difference. 

Thanks in advance!

Measurement Needed.jpg

Edited by salans7

Thanks Gary!

Here's the part numbers for the items should anyone want to go New Old Stock for the parts while they're somewhat available. Otherwise, junkyard is your best bet. The lower mounts are riveted on to the radiator support, so it may be easier to just buy the whole radiator support and take it home to disassemble. 

Clips: N801731-S2
Bolts: N606691-S (M8x1.25x38MM Hex w/washer)

Lower Mounts: E5TZ-8052-A (Passenger) E5TZ-8052-B (Driver)
Lower Pads: E5TZ-8125-A

Shaun - Thanks!  However I think it'll be easier to use a nutsert instead of the clips as they take a larger opening.  But with a nutsert you just need a round hole.

I had the old radiator support from Big Blue that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: meth'd with, and it would have had the lower mounts.  So far I've not found it but it is apparently hiding with my tube of PTFE.  I've ordered a new tube and it'll be here tomorrow so the old tube, and probably the radiator support, should appear soon after.

Speaking of after, I'm drinking my first cuppa and plan to do the measuring after the 2nd one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gary Lewis said:

I had the old radiator support from Big Blue that :nabble_florida-man-42_orig: meth'd with, and it would have had the lower mounts.  So far I've not found it but it is apparently hiding with my tube of PTFE.  I've ordered a new tube and it'll be here tomorrow so the old tube, and probably the radiator support, should appear soon after.

You can't find it because you gave it to me two years ago... it ended up on my trailer with your other old radiator support (Dad's Truck's original), which I combined into one usable piece which was part of rebuilding after I took out Bambi. 

Edited by ratdude747

47 minutes ago, Gary Lewis said:

Well, that would explain it!  Thanks, Larry. And I assume you used the lower mounts?

Yes, as that and the clip nuts are the only things I used off it. The rest was scrapped. 

I'd be careful using rivet nuts. Most consumer ones are aluminum and they like to seize on the bolt and spin in the hole (aka why when the state gives me new plates for my ranger in the future, I'm up the creek). Steel ones exist (a couple of my employer's products use M6 ones) but they require better tooling to install and I'd suggest that over aluminum every day. Ideal thing would be a weld nut, but that's not something DIY-friendly or even practical on an already-existing radiator support. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, salans7 said:

I am working on installing the mounts for an 85-86 gas radiator into an 80-84 gas core support, and just need to know where the holes for the radiator mounting bolts should go. I have tons of pictures, but it's hard to judge for sure where they need to go so a measurement would be super helpful. 

A measurement from the center A/C condenser mounting bolt to the radiator mounting bolt would be great. One from the center of the radiator mounting bolt to the top of the radiator support would also be appreciated. To be safe, I would likely need a measurement for both sides in case there's a difference. 

Shaun - I can't get to the center A/C condenser mounting bolt.  But I can measure to the inside holes where the clip for the jack handle goes on the top of the radiator support .  Pics below, but here are the dimensions:

• Passenger Side: 2 3/8" from center of radiator bolt to the inside hole for the jack handle's clip
  • Driver's side: 3 " from center of radiator bolt to the inside hole for the jack handle's clip
  • Center of both bolts is 7/8" down from the top of the radiator support

DRIVER'S SIDE                                                                                                                                             PASSENGER'S SIDE

IMG_2005.thumb.JPG.f38cb9533a657f13501da58ebffe6ab0.JPGIMG_2007.thumb.JPG.7550397a3892bf22ed408e313e248a8a.JPG

IMG_2001.thumb.JPG.f4b4c47270814c14a09e164ba57b2abc.JPGIMG_1999.thumb.JPG.ac371d353681167458a52bde2ca23d06.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_1998.JPG

IMG_2008.JPG

• Thanks 1