Bullnose Forum

A/C Reinstall

Ifitaintbroke

I'm going to attempt putting the A/C back in the 250. I have all my part numbers, but a few questions.

Can I reuse the condenser and evaporator? They were not leaking and the A/C was working fine when I dismantled it like an idiot. They will definitely need a good cleaning.

How much oil should I put in the compressor, and what kind?

And, if I do this, how the heck am I going to mount a york compressor for the on board air?

7 hours ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

How much oil should I put in the compressor, and what kind?

You need to tell more about what you took off. Is it the stock FS-6 compressor ? Should take 10oz PAG46 oil if you are going to retrofit to R134a....

Definitely read Instructions -> 1985 FSM -> A/C Systems -> FS-6 Compressor & Clutch in the link below

HVAC Systems (garysgaragemahal.com)

7 hours ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

And, if I do this, how the heck am I going to mount a york compressor for the on board air?

York was used pre-80 if i am not mistaken... and what is onboard air ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, viven44 said:

You need to tell more about what you took off. Is it the stock FS-6 compressor ? Should take 10oz PAG46 oil if you are going to retrofit to R134a....

Definitely read Instructions -> 1985 FSM -> A/C Systems -> FS-6 Compressor & Clutch in the link below

HVAC Systems (garysgaragemahal.com)

Yes. The FS6.

10 minutes ago, viven44 said:

York was used pre-80 if i am not mistaken... and what is onboard air ?

York was used a couple of years into the 80's. On board air is a vehicle mounted air compressor system, typically using said York compressor. I was going to use the FS6 for that, but decided against it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

Got my hoses ordered. Now just need to determine whether to keep the condenser and evaporator or replace them. They are not cheap.

Only if they show signs of corrosion... I would think just judging from outside should be enough (outside should be worse than inside.)... and for what its worth, a bullnose evaporator and condenser has never let me down yet. I've always reused the old one.....

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, viven44 said:

Only if they show signs of corrosion... I would think just judging from outside should be enough (outside should be worse than inside.)... and for what its worth, a bullnose evaporator and condenser has never let me down yet. I've always reused the old one.....

Arright Vivek but I'm blaming you if they leak! 🫡

3 minutes ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

Certainly.

Condenser is in. 2 of the 3 hoses are ordered. I'll get a drier and the o-rings, and a pressure switch sometime this week.

For whatever reason, when I evacuate the system that has been open for a while for the first time around I can only pump down to about 28.... I usually let it sit... and then come back and do it again... usually have to do 2 or 3 times to get it to pump down.... just stating that so you don't suspect any components right away.

• Like 1