Bullnose Forum

Lurking For To Long

Xr650jkallen

51 minutes ago, BigBrother-84 said:

Would be nice if you could post couple of pictures about the Dealer Installed A/C, just curious...

:nabble_smiley_wink:

I’ll snap a few tomorrow. Pretty neat setup. The factory heat only blower is in the engine bay and the dealer added A/C is a self contained unit behind the glove box with its own blower. It does a pretty good job cooling the cab. I am going to swap my sliding back glass for a solid one, and after that I’ll add some light window tint, it should really cool then. 

• Like 2

Here are a few pictures of the inside unit. The blower is self contained and only pulls air from the inside of the cab, basically permanent recirculate/max. The evaporator core is behind the glove box as seen through the added a/c vent. The hvac control chooses which fan to turn on based on the position of the a/c, heat, defrost slider. A/C is the inside blower, everything else is the factory blower. The fan speed selector controls both fans depending on the slider position. I believe the compressor to be a Sanden 508. The condenser is just a universal looking one with both input and output on the drivers side. 

IMG_0143.thumb.jpeg.22c07f7fbeb6614d81e264e1a060fe82.jpegIMG_0144.thumb.jpeg.f501a5c151ae18faee5bd8a9bea45568.jpegIMG_0145.thumb.jpeg.9639872693c9bcf7bf9500a7a8ca3a18.jpegIMG_0128.thumb.jpeg.51771af609831a29258b957a607de023.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

welcome. I'm doing a frame off of a very similar truck.  although I'm converting it to a factory a/c. also I've done a 5.0/aod swap. 

just got home last night from Nashville. we did the Tennessee craft art festival at centennial park. perfect weekend. it's been a few years since I was in Springfield, but I've been there many times. any chance you know George Montana? haha.

• Like 1

I don’t think I know a George Montana, does he have an abundance of Ford parts laying around? 😆

Are you close to Nashville? I have contemplated an AOD swap to gain overdrive, but my C6 shifts nicely. I think I am going to go to a 31” tall tire to lower my highway rpm when I am due for a tire replacement. 

3 hours ago, Xr650jkallen said:

I think I am going to go to a 31” tall tire to lower my highway rpm when I am due for a tire replacement. 

What's your current tire diameter, is it the 235/75/15 size ?

Going to 31" inch tires (31x10.5R15) didn't change my speedometer driven gear at all from stock and I was surprised.... I realized in discussion with Jim that what matters is the measurement from center of wheel to ground (let's call that radius, R). With both those sizes, and the tire squished, it amounted to an effective 28.5" diameter with those 31" tires.... but curious what results you get.

If you look at the speedometer driven gear charts, depending on offroad vs mud/snow tires for the exact same tire sizes they recommend different gears... I think that's because offroad vs mud/snow tires have a different R value..

Speedometer Gears, Cables, & Sensors (garysgaragemahal.com)

Edited by viven44
  • Like 1

I was living in old hickory for over 20 years but in the Nashville area since the late 70s. I'm now in Lexington NC just south of Winston Salem.

no. G M is/was a musician friend of over 40 years and I lost contact but last I knew he and his wife lived in Springfield. small town. you never know who knows who.

I build a lot of aod transmissions for trucks and resto-mod cars for the same reason that you mention. I bought a core just this afternoon. often, I modify them for the specific purpose.  shift kits and so on. I've done this on three of the trucks that I currently drive and many before and a few c6/aod swaps as well. the right drivetrain can really wake up a vehicle.

• Like 1

235/75/15 Is correct. I think those are roughly 28” and my Speedo is currently 5 mph slow. I do not have a tach, but it seems to cruise at 75 just fine. 

I would definitely do an AOD swap, just don’t know if I want to mess with a TV cable. 

most of the 235/75/15 tire that I have dealt with run 28.75"-28.9" in diameter. however, I would not be surprised to find a smaller tire listed on the door tag. looking into what final gear ratio is in the rear axle might help a bit also.