Bullnose Forum

Cb interference

3 hours ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

I tried moving the coax and radio about 4 feet from the gauge and cable. Did not help one bit. I want to try rfi shielding, but not sure if I should put it on the O² sensor cable, or the radio's coax. It is also very expensive, at $7 a foot from McMaster Carr.

Not sure how much RFI shielding you are trying to accomplish but aluminum foil can be a pretty decent faraday cage and can be used to prove/disprove any hypotheses 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, viven44 said:

Not sure how much RFI shielding you are trying to accomplish but aluminum foil can be a pretty decent faraday cage and can be used to prove/disprove any hypotheses 

I'm thinking now that it may not be rfi, but noise in the electrical system. Squelch does not affect it, nor does switching to FM, LSB, or USB. The volume of the whistling is also the same no matter where I put the volume knob. I think it's just the speaker picking it up. This also explains why moving the radio and coax away from the gauge did nothing. The electrical connection was still the same. I will try hooking it up to a separate battery and see if it goes away. I'm curious now about Gary's idea of using a capacitor.

Edited by Ifitaintbroke

8 hours ago, grumpin said:

What kind of antenna set up do you have?

102" inch stainless whip.

14 hours ago, Xr650jkallen said:

Could possibly be a ground loop issue too. The separate battery will expose that, if the noise goes away, try running the cbs wires directly to the truck battery. 

16 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

If the separate battery idea works, and that's a good idea, try a variation of capacitors.  Typically you'd think that the bigger the better, but not always.  A lot of times a ceramic disc does the job.

Good ideas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

102" inch stainless whip

2 hours ago, Ifitaintbroke said:

Snatched the battery out of my lawnmower and BINGO! No noise. I'll try hooking straight to the battery first.

Great antenna set up!

Good news!

• Like 1