Bullnose Forum

Cb interference

5 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

You might try a capacitor from power to ground near the AFR meter.  It might be feeding noise back into the electrical system.  But a good CB radio should filter that out, so it may well be RF interference.

I'm positive it's RF. The reason is because the radio didn't start doing this until I mounted it in the dash, and ran the coax close to the O² sensor wire. I have narrowed it down to that cable, as the noise stops when I unplug it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, grumpin said:

Chasing noise in a CB radio is a pain!

What brand and model radio?

Some are really bad on noise. 

President McKinley II.

17 hours ago, viven44 said:

Just a dumb question... why couldn't this be RF interference from the voltage regulator or the coil ? I guess because the vehicle isn't running ?

Correct. Also, I no longer have a voltage regulator.

Sounds like the issues I have/had on my ranger with HID ballasts that kept puking a bunch of noise on the 12V bus. Tried a lot of things (noise filters, better grounding, etc.) ended up buying better made ballasts that had better internal filtering. Still get a bunch of noise when the headlights are on but it's nowhere near as bad. Cheap electronics and CBs (or heck, FM radios even) don't mix... 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ratdude747 said:

Sounds like the issues I have/had on my ranger with HID ballasts that kept puking a bunch of noise on the 12V bus. Tried a lot of things (noise filters, better grounding, etc.) ended up buying better made ballasts that had better internal filtering. Still get a bunch of noise when the headlights are on but it's nowhere near as bad. Cheap electronics and CBs (or heck, FM radios even) don't mix... 

I'm going to try RFI shielding on the coax cable. It worked fine on my MSD unit.