Bullnose Forums

6.9/7.3 IDI diesel timing

Ford F834

I was recently messaging another member on how to re-time a 6.9 and located this fairly useful document on how to do it...

The engine manuals describe the usual method of aligning the timing marks on the crank gear, cam gear and injection pump gear with the the front cover off. This is great for engine assembly, but is not too helpful if the owner has made the rookie mistake of removing the injection pump gear housing to remove the pump. Many novice owners have ended up selling their trucks because they could not figure out how to get it back in time without disassembling the front of the engine. Maybe this document will help out a member some day if they goof and pull the gear housing on their truck:

http://www.blackwire.com/~bjordan/Tech/Timing_the_6.9-7.3_IDI_101.pdf

Jonathan - That's going to be a big help. Do you know Brian Jordan (The Grampulator)? I'd like to put his document on the website, but would like to have his permission. Can we contact him?

Unfortunately I do not know him. Nor do I know where to find him. I wish I did. I was actually contemplating doing a write up and pictures on this subject when I go to assemble my engine, but I see that that it has already been done. I will look around and see if I can find a way to locate and contact him.

Unfortunately I do not know him. Nor do I know where to find him. I wish I did. I was actually contemplating doing a write up and pictures on this subject when I go to assemble my engine, but I see that that it has already been done. I will look around and see if I can find a way to locate and contact him.

Thanks! And invite him to join?

• 3 weeks later...