Bullnose Forums

86 to 87 4x4 Swap

fiftyfordfloored

It is, and that spring clip accomplishes it. It won't get pulled out while driving unless something happens that would have ripped the factory clip off, too.

So now is the perfect time to modify since everything is apart... Considering a 2 inch lift kit (nothing crazy). Any thoughts? Alignment nightmare? Does anyone have any pictures of a mostly stock truck on 31's with a 1.5-2 inch lift?

So now is the perfect time to modify since everything is apart... Considering a 2 inch lift kit (nothing crazy). Any thoughts? Alignment nightmare? Does anyone have any pictures of a mostly stock truck on 31's with a 1.5-2 inch lift?

IDK why you'd lift a truck for a stock tire size - it's cheaper, easier, and rides & handles better at stock height. I run 33s with no lift.

IDK why you'd lift a truck for a stock tire size - it's cheaper, easier, and rides & handles better at stock height. I run 33s with no lift.

That's true. I'm on the fence. I was thinking F250 springs because I do like to put this truck to work. That and I also like the lifted look that looks factory. If I put F250 badges on it, no one would know the difference at a glance.

That's true. I'm on the fence. I was thinking F250 springs because I do like to put this truck to work. That and I also like the lifted look that looks factory. If I put F250 badges on it, no one would know the difference at a glance.

Not the way to get rid of the C-clips. There are ways to convert an 8.8 to hold an axle like a 9" does. That is safe and even race ready. Doing it the way suggested here is asking for trouble.

Not the way to get rid of the C-clips. There are ways to convert an 8.8 to hold an axle like a 9" does. That is safe and even race ready. Doing it the way suggested here is asking for trouble.

I just put in a new factory c-clip and put the axle stub back in with a new seal. I'm not really worried about the thing pulling out; my 4x4 needs are that of a daily driver to get me to work in the snow.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you doing a 2wd to 4wd swap? I know on the earlier trucks the frame is different and this cannot be done.

1979 and prior it's a real pain and usually requires a frame graft/swap or a lot of welding. 1980-86 trucks just swap over, and '87-96 swap as well (bolt on). Sway bar setups change from '86-87 and so do the radius arms for some reason.

1979 and prior it's a real pain and usually requires a frame graft/swap or a lot of welding. 1980-86 trucks just swap over, and '87-96 swap as well (bolt on). Sway bar setups change from '86-87 and so do the radius arms for some reason.

'80-96 (& '97 >8500GVWR) are essentially the same truck, so most parts swap between them.