Bullnose Forum

Greetings from Germany

KonradKernkraft

Hi Folks,

I am from Germany and bought this 1984 F150 from a guy that imported it from South Carolina in 2019. 

I am really enjoying it but there are a couple of things that need to be done, and therefore I am really glad that I found this forum since it helps a lot to understand certain things. In Germany there is not much available about it and it is also hard or at least very expensive to get spare parts, but it is like it is 🙂

The F150 is a V8 302 cui with a Edelbrock 1406.

There was a paint job done, but sadly without any clear coat, but it still looks okay. There is very little rust on the Frame, but I will try to treat it and preserve it in the spring next year. I already repaired some rust-spots on the body but luckily it was nothing big.

I feel like the consumption is a bit high with around 10,2 MpG (23 l/100km) and therefore I try to adjust the Carb and get it right. I hooked up the vacuum gauge and the max vacuum I could achieve was only ~16 inHg, so I guess I need to adjust the ignition timing as well. In Idle he also smells a bit rich.  I am only a Mechanical Engineer, but no mechanic so it is a bit learning by doing 🙂

So enough from me.

Thank you all for offering these know-how.

Regards,

Konrad

2024-09-26 21_46_38-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.jpg

2024-09-26 21_47_12-NVIDIA GeForce Overlay DT.jpg

Edited by KonradKernkraft

Welcome, Konrad!  Glad you joined.  :nabble_anim_handshake:

Beautiful truck!  Your signature doesn't say if what transmission you have, and that does make a difference on MPG.  The C6 is notorious for turning energy into heat.

And that vacuum isn't good, depending on when you are measuring it.  Is that at idle?  You should be able to get it to at least 18" if not 20" by adjusting the idle air/fuel mixture screws.

What part of Germany?  I ask because we have a map, which you can see in the menu at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map, and we can add you with a city or postal code.  And as you can see on it we have other members in Germany as well as other parts of Europe.  Perhaps you folks could get together to discuss how best to import parts?

Thanks for welcoming me and for the hint. I added it. It is an AOD Transmission.

Yes the engine was warm and I measured it on idle. 16" was the max value I achieved with the idle screws. So next thing I need to check is the ignition timing I guess. Are there any other influencing factors that could be checked quickly?

Its in Bavaria in 85051 Ingolstadt where Audi Headquarter is located. I just looked at the map and I bought it from the Guy in Köfering, so the truck changed locations 😄

Thanks for the tip with import parts, I will come back to it when I need something bigger 🙂

The AOD is much better at MPG when adjusted properly.  But it might be a bit busy shifting in Bavaria depending on your rear axle ratio.  Ford liked to put really high-geared axles in some of the trucks and with the AOD's very high "overdrive" ratio that can cause lots of shifting.

And yes, the ignition timing can influence both the vacuum as well as MPG.  The factory probably called for 8 degrees before TDC, but I'd shoot for maybe 12 if it still starts w/o kicking back and doesn't ping.

I've not been to Ingolstadt, although I've been fairly close.  We started a Danube cruise in Nuremberg, and we've been to Munich several times, twice in late September.  :nabble_smiley_wink:  Seeing the parade was awesome.  We've also been to Dachau, which was ... scary.

Great, I will follow your advice. Thanks 🙂
In the next weeks I will be in Detroit at the Battery Show where the company I am working at will have booth and I have duty there :D..(not really looking forward to it) So I will be in the States for the first time which will be great 😃

Ingolstadt is not worth seeing tbh, just the Audi Factory is quite impressive. But cool, that you came over and visited us :)..and yes..the history can be really scary.

Glad you are getting to come over.  Detroit isn't scenic but there is the Henry Ford Museum - which I've not been to.

As for visiting, we love Germany.  We've been several times on vacation and I've been a number of times on business.  Was in Switzerland last year at this time, and will be in France next Spring.

Maybe we need to start "chapters" and have one in Europe and I could come and meet some of you?