Bullnose Forums

Seeking help with firing order and distributor routing

DaneD

Good evening everyone,

My truck is a 1981 Ford F150 ranger with a 302 5.0L Windsor small block engine

I've been replacing gaskets throughout my truck and as I was replacing my valve cover gaskets I disconnected the sparkplug wires for the distributor. Big mistake on my part as I didn't have any of the wires numbered or marked to put them back on the distributor.

I've looked online everywhere for the correct firing order, and it only made me more confused.

Does anyone have the correct firing order and experience with the correct distributor placement? Would be greatly appreciated!

IMG_8265.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

IMG_8267.jpg

typically, the number 1 position is nearest to the carburetor on the driver's side of center. facing the engine from the front it will right of center farthest away from you.  firing order for an 81 302 is 15426378 installed rotation ccw.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mat in tn said:

typically, the number 1 position is nearest to the carburetor on the driver's side of center. facing the engine from the front it will right of center farthest away from you.  firing order for an 81 302 is 15426378 installed rotation ccw.

Thank you, 

I wasn't 100% if the firing order was 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 or 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8,

This clears it up a lot, thanks!

7 minutes ago, viven44 said:

plus any old pics you may possibly have might confirm... if the second plug wire went to the passenger side vs driver side

I wish I had some old pictures to go off of as a reference but unfortunately, I made the mistake of not doing a before/after