Bullnose Forum

New member here seeking advice

Sullys20Footer

I'm Brian, my 16 y/o son Sully and I fixed up this 1982 F100 as his first vehicle. 4.9 , 2wd , automatic.

After running great for over a year the truck just stopped wanting to start/run. We have changes out ignition module, coil, cap and rotor, wires and plugs. Has spark to every cylinder and its getting fuel, but it still wont start.

Any thoughts on what It could be would be helpful and appreciated.

Sorry to come out the gate so strong, looking for help as a new member

Sully's F100.jpg

Edited by Sullys20Footer

that is exactly where my mind went at your description.  the phenolic camshaft gear is a softer material than the steel crank gear and when it fails it usually strips the teeth of the cam gear. however, how many miles are on the engine? has it ever been rebuilt? the reason for these questions is that the earlier engines came with a factory steel set where the later started using the "silent gear" on the camshaft as there was a known noise that resulted from the steel set. they broke in and got much quieter normally but with a smooth-running engine and a good muffler you could still hear a bit of whirring from the steel set, and this caused ford engineers to design the silent gear. 

last year at 75 mph going home from the shop mine stripped 12 teeth and lost all power, backfired and I got the privilege of getting the truck to a controlled stop without power brakes or steering on 32s. it now has a steel set! I can hear it at some rpms, but it was really noisy at first. 

I have a remanned 4.9 in stock that I finished a couple months ago, and it has a factory cam gear set. it was a low mileage truck that I did a v8 swap and I remanned the engine to sell or use. whichever comes first. I reinstalled the steel set because it is perfect. no wear beyond a fine polish. it is an 83 model f100 engine. so, I'm expecting yours could be steel also as an 82.

Welcome!  Glad you joined.  :nabble_anim_handshake:

Where's home?  I ask because we have a map, which you can see in the menu at Bullnose Forum/Member's Map, and we can add you with a city/state or zip/postal code.  Who knows, maybe one of us is close and we could help?

Normally we recommend that you don't try troubleshooting in this, the New Member Start Here, folder as there's not that much traffic.  But it looks like you are getting help.  Still I'd recommend that you go to the main section and start a thread there on this truck.  That way you can keep track of what changes you make, and you'll get more visibility.

First off , Thanks to everyone for the advice.

I wasn't sure how to post or how this forum works, so my apologies.

I'm in Foristell MO 63348 please add me to the map

We know nothing about the truck, I do suspect it is the original engine though, probably never rebuilt, the engine bay had all the smog stuff there, just disconnected with bolts in hoses etc. Actual mileage is unknown. From what I've read the 82 had steel cam gears.

Thanks again

Edited by Sullys20Footer