Bullnose Forums

Brown wire missing

I am replacing the dizzy on my 82 351w eec truck. The VV carb was removed by the previous owner, it has a motorcraft 2150 now. All the eec was left. I have removed the eec and pulled the eec duraspark system and wire harness and am replacing it with a ds2, and a standard vacuum advance dizzy, my issue is I seem to be missing a couple of wires, the painless wiring kit calls for a brown wire to the starter solenoid, I don't have one, looking at the wiring diagram I show have it, along with a red/green from the alternator regulator but my regulator doesn't have the "I" exciter wire either. Is this normal? I assume I will just run the brown to the solenoid and go from there. 

It should be wired as shown below for the distributor and ignition module.  And the wiring for the alternator and voltage regulator are shown below that - assuming you have gauges and not idiot lights.  The regulators for trucks with idiot lights do have the I terminal, as you can see at the very bottom.

But I'm not sure what to tell you about running the brown wire as I don't know from whence it comes.  Tell us more about it?

1985-etm-page271.thumb.jpg.eae325f844ef5c606e8dff4ada2e976a.jpg

1985-etm-page171.thumb.jpg.a9ef2fcd6252d7e0193949e58634b17c.jpg

1985-etm-page151.thumb.jpg.b31e4c7449195501da488721ae4c8f99.jpg

The brown wire was last brown in 1978/79.. my 78 Bronco's starter solenoid trigger wire is brown and my 86 parts truck shows a Red/Light blue... (80 onwards the color is probably Red/Light Blue.)

As shown below in the diagram if you cannot find the R/LB wire you can run one from the R/LB wire going to the ignition module. (It becomes white after connector C321..)

Just double check and make sure that wire only gets 12V in Start and no voltage in Run

DS-II.thumb.png.7b49024d171f8c3e9a09d5cd6fd42da5.png

Edited by viven44

To add a bit more, if you look at the stock DS-II wiring diagram there is a direct connection (no resistor wire) to the coil + from the ignition switch (using the R/LG wire) in the Start position (basically give the coil full voltage during crank).... If you have that connection already, you can skip the connection from the I terminal of the starter solenoid to the coil +

If you are starting from scratch, then you will make the connection from I on the starter solenoid to Coil + (to supply the coil with full voltage during Crank)

Edited by viven44

Mine has the ammeter, so that must be the issue, I was looking for the existing brown wire from the starter solenoid to tie the drown from the painless harness, just couldn't find it. My Haynes manual was showing it but now that I look at the Ford stuff I see why I don't. Thanks for the info, very much appreciated.