Bullnose Forums

Cold start up problem

The choke seems to be working well as it quickly climbs to 1500 rpm's and then 5-10 seconds later it dies. It will do this repeatedly or until I feather the throttle for approximately 30-40 seconds then I can let it idle erratically. ... I feel like it's a choke problem...
In cold weather with a carb, you're supposed to press the gas pedal at least 1/2 way & release before cranking. That's what allows the throttle to get onto the choke cam, and the choke to close. It also primes the manifold with gas (via the accelerator pump).
...the rubber strip that screws to the front of the firewall to seal the hood from water and debris, or so I thought .It still has water on the breather housing after every rain
That strip is to reduce the engine heat & fumes being sucked into the HVAC intake, under the wiper arms. It has nothing to do with water in the engine bay, which blows there from underneath as you drive in rain, anyway.

Water on the air filter cover doesn't hurt anything (assuming the wing bolt is tightened correctly). If it bothers you, try drying it AFTER you park the truck, and see if more appears there the next morning.

Yes I press the gas pedal to get some fuel in as well as engagement of the choke.

Did you read the information about the cowl somewhere, because everyone including a couple of my old buddies at the Ford dealership told me to buy the cowl from LMC to stop the water from pooling up on the breather housing .Also mine has some sort of round peice that has 2 vacuum nipples that water easily gets past and into the carburetor itself. One nipple goes to a TAD solenoid the other goes to the hot air intake diaphram that doesn't work .

Thanks for responding in any case as my old buddies are very reluctant to help an old friend out these days .Want paid like an attorney lol

Did you read the information about the cowl somewhere...
I don't remember where I learned it - maybe a TSB or service manual; maybe one of the Ford classes I attended when I worked at the dealership... I just try to remember the info; not necessarily the source.
Also mine has some sort of round peice that has 2 vacuum nipples that water easily gets past and into the carburetor itself.
Then seal around it, or (if it's non-functional anyway), remove it & tape up the holes. But that vacuum switch should be OUTside the filter, so water that gets past it should go away from the carb throat.

Post pics.

Did you read the information about the cowl somewhere...
I don't remember where I learned it - maybe a TSB or service manual; maybe one of the Ford classes I attended when I worked at the dealership... I just try to remember the info; not necessarily the source.
Also mine has some sort of round peice that has 2 vacuum nipples that water easily gets past and into the carburetor itself.
Then seal around it, or (if it's non-functional anyway), remove it & tape up the holes. But that vacuum switch should be OUTside the filter, so water that gets past it should go away from the carb throat.

Post pics.

Ok, next good rain I'll take some pics to show outside and inside of the breather housing.

Ok, next good rain I'll take some pics to show outside and inside of the breather housing.

I was mulling this over today as I was putting the engine back into a '95 Bronco, and I might NOT have read anything about that cowl strip... I might have reverse-engineered it.

Since it's also used on trucks with EFI (which are not affected by rain falling on top of them), it can't be for rain.

Since it's not designed to keep things out (the lip faces the wrong way), it's not for that at all.

Since it's MUCH wider than the air filter, and since not all air filters are back that far, or centered on the cowl, it can't have anything to do with the air filter.

Since it's exactly the same width as the HVAC intake slots/holes in the wiper valance, that has to be its purpose: to keep engine fumes from blowing out the back of the hood & being sucked into the HVAC/cabin. The strip is just long enough to make the fumes move outward past those holes, and then blow up the w/s over the roof, or around the doors.

But I'm still interested to see the water problem you're having, and the vacuum switch in the air cleaner cover.

I was mulling this over today as I was putting the engine back into a '95 Bronco, and I might NOT have read anything about that cowl strip... I might have reverse-engineered it.

Since it's also used on trucks with EFI (which are not affected by rain falling on top of them), it can't be for rain.

Since it's not designed to keep things out (the lip faces the wrong way), it's not for that at all.

Since it's MUCH wider than the air filter, and since not all air filters are back that far, or centered on the cowl, it can't have anything to do with the air filter.

Since it's exactly the same width as the HVAC intake slots/holes in the wiper valance, that has to be its purpose: to keep engine fumes from blowing out the back of the hood & being sucked into the HVAC/cabin. The strip is just long enough to make the fumes move outward past those holes, and then blow up the w/s over the roof, or around the doors.

But I'm still interested to see the water problem you're having, and the vacuum switch in the air cleaner cover.

Perhaps it was originally designed to keep fumes out of the HVAC. But it does work to keep water out of the engine compartment, or at least off things in the center of it.

When I got Big Blue it had a really bad cowl seal and corrosion everywhere. Water had been pooling on the aluminum intake and corroding it. The aluminum Eddy carb was corroded. And many other things were as well.

I cleaned most of the things, including the carb and some of the intake. And then installed a cowl seal using garage door weatherstripping, as shown in the above link. No more corrosion, and the truck sits out. :nabble_smiley_beam:

I was mulling this over today as I was putting the engine back into a '95 Bronco, and I might NOT have read anything about that cowl strip... I might have reverse-engineered it.Since it's also used on trucks with EFI (which are not affected by rain falling on top of them), it can't be for rain.Since it's not designed to keep things out (the lip faces the wrong way), it's not for that at all.Since it's MUCH wider than the air filter, and since not all air filters are back that far, or centered on the cowl, it can't have anything to do with the air filter.Since it's exactly the same width as the HVAC intake slots/holes in the wiper valance, that has to be its purpose: to keep engine fumes from blowing out the back of the hood & being sucked into the HVAC/cabin. The strip is just long enough to make the fumes move outward past those holes, and then blow up the w/s over the roof, or around the doors.But I'm still interested to see the water problem you're having, and the vacuum switch in the air cleaner cover.
Ok sounds good, it's supposed to rain Wednesday and I work until 6 sometimes 7:00PM it will be dark by the time I get home. Maybe I'll just run a garden hose over 😉

Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

On Saturday, October 20, 2018 Steve83 [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote:

I was mulling this over today as I was putting the engine back into a '95 Bronco, and I might NOT have read anything about that cowl strip...  I might have reverse-engineered it.

Since it's exactly the same width as the HVAC intake slots/holes in the wiper valance, that has to be its purpose: to keep engine fumes from blowing out the back of the hood & being sucked into the HVAC/cabin.

But I'm still interested to see the water problem you're having, and the vacuum switch in the air cleaner cover. Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!
https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742#album
Memphis, TN, USA, Earth, Milky Way

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Cold-start-up-problem-tp16287p16367.html

To unsubscribe from Cold start up problem, click here.
NAML