Bullnose Forums

Cold start up problem

Hello all, my truck runs pretty good when warm however after sitting awhile and in this case almost 2 weeks it will start right up. The choke seems to be working well as it quickly climbs to 1500 rpm's and then 5-10 seconds later it dies. It will do this repeatedly or until I feather the throttle for approximately 30-40 seconds then I can let it idle erratically. Then after about 5 minutes I feel comfortable to actually drive it.

I feel like it's a choke problem but I don't know for sure which is why I'm here to ask the experts. Thanks guys & gals.

First, did you put the cowl seal on as described here? It has to be glued to the firewall or it'll leak behind. Underhood/Cowl Seal.

As for the choke, you may have the choke pull-down pulling the choke open too much. Adjustment procedures are on Page 28 here (Fuel Systems/1985-86 Fuel System Adjustments). And you will note that the Performance Symptom on that page includes stalling for too much pull-down.

However, I do not know what the pull-down specs are for your truck. But, there are several ways you can test this theory. One is to pull the air cleaner, start the truck, and watch the choke. If I'm right the choke will pull open about the time the engine begins to stall.

Another way to test it is to pull the vacuum hose off the pull-down, plug the hose, and start the truck. If it doesn't die, or doesn't die the same way, then you've proven the pull-down is the problem.

In that case, turn the adjusting screw clockwise a turn or two and see if the symptoms change. But keep track of the number of turns so you can put it back if it doesn't help.

First, did you put the cowl seal on as described here? It has to be glued to the firewall or it'll leak behind. Underhood/Cowl Seal.

As for the choke, you may have the choke pull-down pulling the choke open too much. Adjustment procedures are on Page 28 here (Fuel Systems/1985-86 Fuel System Adjustments). And you will note that the Performance Symptom on that page includes stalling for too much pull-down.

However, I do not know what the pull-down specs are for your truck. But, there are several ways you can test this theory. One is to pull the air cleaner, start the truck, and watch the choke. If I'm right the choke will pull open about the time the engine begins to stall.

Another way to test it is to pull the vacuum hose off the pull-down, plug the hose, and start the truck. If it doesn't die, or doesn't die the same way, then you've proven the pull-down is the problem.

In that case, turn the adjusting screw clockwise a turn or two and see if the symptoms change. But keep track of the number of turns so you can put it back if it doesn't help.

No I didn't Gary, I did put a bead of RTV down the top of it after the first rain storm and found alot of water on the breather housing. Guess I'll do the glue thing sooner than later because it gets the carb wet.

As for the choke pull off its working great and yes it does open immediately after the engine starts .perhaps 1/4" is too much of an opening, another one I can do Saturday morning!!! Thanks for the info for the novice that is me :)

No I didn't Gary, I did put a bead of RTV down the top of it after the first rain storm and found alot of water on the breather housing. Guess I'll do the glue thing sooner than later because it gets the carb wet.

As for the choke pull off its working great and yes it does open immediately after the engine starts .perhaps 1/4" is too much of an opening, another one I can do Saturday morning!!! Thanks for the info for the novice that is me :)

RTV doesn't stick well. I tried it and it didn't work. And applying it after installation is worse. The seal needs to be glued to the cowl, and Black Jack does a good job of that. But now you have to get the RTV off. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Good luck on the choke pull-down. :nabble_smiley_good:

RTV doesn't stick well. I tried it and it didn't work. And applying it after installation is worse. The seal needs to be glued to the cowl, and Black Jack does a good job of that. But now you have to get the RTV off. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Good luck on the choke pull-down. :nabble_smiley_good:

Fortunately I just layer a small bead across the top of the cowl not really sticking to anything per say .

As for the choke I'm thinking you're spot on! We'll see Saturday morning if the weather co-operate's .

Fortunately I just layer a small bead across the top of the cowl not really sticking to anything per say .

As for the choke I'm thinking you're spot on! We'll see Saturday morning if the weather co-operate's .

It is supposed to be 70 degrees on Saturday. I'm winterizing the boat that day. Should be a good one down your way as well.

The choke seems to be working well as it quickly climbs to 1500 rpm's and then 5-10 seconds later it dies. It will do this repeatedly or until I feather the throttle for approximately 30-40 seconds then I can let it idle erratically. ... I feel like it's a choke problem...
In cold weather with a carb, you're supposed to press the gas pedal at least 1/2 way & release before cranking. That's what allows the throttle to get onto the choke cam, and the choke to close. It also primes the manifold with gas (via the accelerator pump).
...the rubber strip that screws to the front of the firewall to seal the hood from water and debris, or so I thought .It still has water on the breather housing after every rain
That strip is to reduce the engine heat & fumes being sucked into the HVAC intake, under the wiper arms. It has nothing to do with water in the engine bay, which blows there from underneath as you drive in rain, anyway.

Water on the air filter cover doesn't hurt anything (assuming the wing bolt is tightened correctly). If it bothers you, try drying it AFTER you park the truck, and see if more appears there the next morning.