Bullnose Forums

Clean Up The New Forum! Use New-Found Features!

Gary Lewis

1 hour ago, BigBrother-84 said:

I'm confused, sorry.

When pressing and holding "Bullnose Forum", I get similar menu.  But any of these tab choices will take me back to the web page, can't have only the InVision forum on screen (not embedded, out of the web page).

IMG_1699.thumb.jpeg.8d8935d0b74d403eeec9fe1850102d7e.jpeg

You're right. It doesn't work the same way on iOS 😞

37 minutes ago, kramttocs said:

You're right. It doesn't work the same way on iOS 😞

TBH, I am confusing myself on the logic at this point to be able to explain it and I'm not going to touch it for the time being. The code isn't complicated, but I'm fuzzy on the reasons why I did certain things.  I made comments, but the comments are only as useful if the comments mean something later... But, this is a semi-intentional "feature" in the redirect code that forces the forum embedding right now.

If you access this URL for the site, it will allow the forum to display with no embedding forced:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/?noloop=1

8 minutes ago, ckuske said:

TBH, I am confusing myself on the logic at this point to be able to explain it and I'm not going to touch it for the time being. The code isn't complicated, but I'm fuzzy on the reasons why I did certain things.  I made comments, but the comments are only as useful if the comments mean something later... But, this is a semi-intentional "feature" in the redirect code that forces the forum embedding right now.

If you access this URL for the site, it will allow the forum to display with no embedding forced:

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/?noloop=1

The noloop parameter is better anyways as we can share that without needing instructions if someone wants it.

Thanks!

16 minutes ago, kramttocs said:

The noloop parameter is better anyways as we can share that without needing instructions if someone wants it.

Thanks!

That parameter is basically there to prevent an infinite loop of redirects (Gary has seen it!) since we need the redirect/embed logic in both Weebly and InVision.

The noloop is basically a sentinel variable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gary Lewis said:

@ckuske - Can you take a look at Jeff's suggestion?  I think I see those in the header on Weebly, which is in Settings/SEO.  But I'm not sure I should play with that.

And while you are at it maybe you should look at the footer?  We have Google capturing stats, but I think there is a way to do that also on Invision.

I've removed the two search boxes from the Weebly header.  If there's page layout issues that anyone notices, please let me know.  In my browsers, the two boxes normally get hidden quickly when the page finishes rendering.

I had to add some whitespace into the page to get the forum to show up completely like it was before, so I'm not sure if I've helped with Jeff's concern or not.

19 minutes ago, BigBrother-84 said:

Chris, you mean that this white gap cannot be reduced?

IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.4bc0168e56c35d320089a712fbdf55ea.jpeg

Yep, that's the one.  It doesn't render like that one a desktop, but I see that on my phone... I hadn't noticed that before.  That whitespace needs to be there (well, for now) to get the top area of the forum to render properly in the iframe.  I'll continue to look at it.  The Weebly HTML is kinda a mess - that's what happens with these WYSIWYG tools.

I just chopped the footer out, that grey bar on the bottom should be gone now. (Gary, this is in the "Edit Theme" area of Weebly)

Overall these are changes I'm going to try to make iteratively - I don't wanna screw up the site for people and not realize it.

We will probably never get "perfect" here - dealing with these rendering issues is like playing Whack-A-Mole, and since 99% of the HTML is out of our control, any of our fixes can get broken by Weebly or InVision at any time.