Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

Can't help on the defroster duct, mine was changed to the later system several years ago. On the electrical, I have been slowly getting up a list of Ford PNs for connector parts and if available the aftermarket PNs that coincide with the Ford numbers.

Anytime I disassemble a parts vehicle, be it Ford, GM or Chrysler I save the harnesses and if I do not need them, strip them of connectors and pull out the longer wires and roll them up so I have the needed colors to extend or repair sections.

Jonathan - That doesn't look right. I'll see if I can put my spare parts together to compare.

Bill - I save all the old harnesses as well. But, for the EFI project my guess is that the harnesses I have won't have the colors I need. Perhaps the huck's harness will, although probably not as it is EEC-IV and I'm using EEC-V.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to mention that there is a really large gap between the defrost duct and the lower heater box assembly... is this normal? Did I get this back together properly?

It was a good thing I removed it for cleaning... the driver side half was 90% clogged with junk. Pens, pencils, coins, bottle caps, matches, three necklaces, a pocket knife two small wrenches, a small screwdriver, popcorn, French fries, and much dirt. Then I made the brilliant mistake of forgetting a can of the interior paint on my dash over the summer. It exploded and cemented the whole thing into a clump of dried paint 🙄

Unfortunately it gummed up my vin tag also. I've been told never to clean or mess with that area because it will look tampered with, but I will have to in this case because you can't read it at all.

Houston, you have a problem. Here's how my defroster duct sits down - on the pieces in the attic.

DSCN2644.thumb.jpg.88dbbe2a7779b91d130544da5e390fd0.jpg

Jonathan - That doesn't look right. I'll see if I can put my spare parts together to compare.

Bill - I save all the old harnesses as well. But, for the EFI project my guess is that the harnesses I have won't have the colors I need. Perhaps the huck's harness will, although probably not as it is EEC-IV and I'm using EEC-V.

The ones you will not have for certain will be for injectors 3-8, but if Ray sends what he has then if it is an SEFI harness you will have most of it. Do I need to find my 1996 EVTM and scan it for you?

The ones you will not have for certain will be for injectors 3-8, but if Ray sends what he has then if it is an SEFI harness you will have most of it. Do I need to find my 1996 EVTM and scan it for you?

Bill - Can I move this to the E4OD thread?

And I would LOVE to have the '96 EVTM scanned! That would help so very much. Or, send it to me and I'll have it scanned and send it back with some pretty parts?

Houston, you have a problem. Here's how my defroster duct sits down - on the pieces in the attic.

Gary it looks like I must be missing part of the lower box? It looks like there is a baffle held in place by that flower head rivet. But it also almost looks like your defrost duct has a metal edge... is your metal?

Bill, when you say you replaced yours with a later style do you mean a later bullnose or from a later body style all together?

I'm really hoping to not have to pull the dash out again but I didn't go through all this to not have it work 😔

Gary it looks like I must be missing part of the lower box? It looks like there is a baffle held in place by that flower head rivet. But it also almost looks like your defrost duct has a metal edge... is your metal?

Bill, when you say you replaced yours with a later style do you mean a later bullnose or from a later body style all together?

I'm really hoping to not have to pull the dash out again but I didn't go through all this to not have it work 😔

Jonathan - I’m not going to be in the shop tomorrow, but can try to answer your questions on Thursday. However, I’m pretty sure the defroster vent is all plastic.

Also, do the pictures here help any? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/integral-ac.html

Later style all together, my system came out of a 1996 model. Main reason was larger evaporator and factory insulated case.

Jonathan - I’m not going to be in the shop tomorrow, but can try to answer your questions on Thursday. However, I’m pretty sure the defroster vent is all plastic.

Also, do the pictures here help any? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/integral-ac.html

Thanks Gary, there is a separate square ring shown in the diagram as part of 18490 (defrost duct). I don't believe I have that and it might be my problem. Someone has been in this dash before. The heat/cold mix door cable was horribly rigged and everything was assembled with a smattering of random fasteners. Judging by the type of work done in there a missing piece is very plausible. I need to hit the junkyard anyway for a vacuum harness, so I will look to see if I find something there that I don't have.

Bill, thanks for the clarification.

Thanks Gary, there is a separate square ring shown in the diagram as part of 18490 (defrost duct). I don't believe I have that and it might be my problem. Someone has been in this dash before. The heat/cold mix door cable was horribly rigged and everything was assembled with a smattering of random fasteners. Judging by the type of work done in there a missing piece is very plausible. I need to hit the junkyard anyway for a vacuum harness, so I will look to see if I find something there that I don't have.

Bill, thanks for the clarification.

If you don't find one I'm sure I have an extra and it'll be easy to ship.