Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

Cory, if you can get this for very little cost I would say please, yes, get it. David did find me one, but he may want one for himself... or if not I wouldn’t mind having another “just in case”. Thank you for keeping an eye out for me 🙂

Ok, I'll grab it next time I'm passing through that area. He'd give it to me for the cost of a coffee, I'd just have to remove it myself is all. That's as close to free as it gets around here. The truck isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so it will still be there.:nabble_smiley_pirate:

Thank you very much Cory! 😀If/when you get a chance to go get it, let me know what I owe you!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man what an incredible thread! Great work and thanks for documenting it all! I have a lot more reading to do to follow everything but I'm hooked.

Glad you enjoyed it... and I have sure gotten a lot of help, parts and advice from the members here! Unfortunately I don’t have any truck time to continue the build at the moment, but it will resume once I have the new house to a livable state. I still have so much I want to do...

• 2 weeks later...

Man what an incredible thread! Great work and thanks for documenting it all! I have a lot more reading to do to follow everything but I'm hooked.

Glad you enjoyed it... and I have sure gotten a lot of help, parts and advice from the members here! Unfortunately I don’t have any truck time to continue the build at the moment, but it will resume once I have the new house to a livable state. I still have so much I want to do...

Well crap 💩. Less than a year since I swapped transfer cases to fix my speedometer and it’s already done. The green drive gear inside is Apple core’d and ruined. The cable feels pretty stiff. It was brand new when installed, but was an aftermarket part. The driven gear seems okay, but that’s little consolation since that is the easy one to find, and the drive gear is unobtanium. As much as I like the 1345 this stinks. I may have to consider a 1356 and a new driveshaft if I want my speedometer to work. 😡

C31F7A65-1B38-47F8-ACE7-7035609BB583.jpeg.514893f4a1677af75f1bf17e44abb03b.jpeg

Well crap 💩. Less than a year since I swapped transfer cases to fix my speedometer and it’s already done. The green drive gear inside is Apple core’d and ruined. The cable feels pretty stiff. It was brand new when installed, but was an aftermarket part. The driven gear seems okay, but that’s little consolation since that is the easy one to find, and the drive gear is unobtanium. As much as I like the 1345 this stinks. I may have to consider a 1356 and a new driveshaft if I want my speedometer to work. 😡

Bummer! Something isn't right. Why do you think a 1356 would be better?

Gary, the 1356 is actually a down grade in my opinion on account of the rear slip yoke. Four wheelers buy SYE’s (slip yoke eliminator kits) to remove this weakness but they are not cheap. The reason I am considering it is because you can still buy the drive gears for the 1356 for about $15 bucks.

I have a 1356 laying around, but it was rode hard and put away wet from what I can tell, and my current driveshaft is a slip shaft so I would need to have one made. You can’t find rear shafts in the junkyard because they bend them when they forklift the trucks. I’ve never seen a straight one except for ones that were removed and in the bed or something. At this point I’m not paying to build a driveshaft just to get my speedometer working. Maybe later...

Oh, and to answer your question, I think the problem or reason for failure may be an inferior quality aftermarket cable. It is not seized up but has way, way too much resistance. ☹️

Oh, and to answer your question, I think the problem or reason for failure may be an inferior quality aftermarket cable. It is not seized up but has way, way too much resistance. ☹️

Yes, I thought the 1345 to be the better t-case. But I understand.

Just download a speed app and put your phone on the dash.

Thanks David, those gears look like 1356 or other transfer case drive gears. The 1345 has a metal sleeve. Cobra transmissions used to carry them, but I contacted them a year ago and they no longer had any (in any tooth count) and did not expect to be able to get more. Unfortunately this is just “one of those things”. I may be able to find another good junkyard one, but they tend to all be Apple cores as well. Seems like it’s the weak link when the cable gets stiff or seizes up.

34266C16-7569-4577-9075-B8A49B08CF1F.jpeg.d9d29ff29463d95bb32bddce15d37035.jpeg