Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the port for vacuum, is it just a spacer? Any reason why one can't be made, maybe out of aluminum or steel?

No reason at all, but I think Jon was looking for the factory correct piece for authenticity sake (In case he were to move somewhere where the emissions folks had to poke around under the hood)

Other than the port for vacuum, is it just a spacer? Any reason why one can't be made, maybe out of aluminum or steel?

No reason at all, but I think Jon was looking for the factory correct piece for authenticity sake (In case he were to move somewhere where the emissions folks had to poke around under the hood)

For $250 I think I'd set my carb on a slab of something, mark the bolt holes, measure the location and size of the bore and cut/bore it out, drill and tap it for a hose barb, and put a few angles on it to approximate that piece.

For $250 I think I'd set my carb on a slab of something, mark the bolt holes, measure the location and size of the bore and cut/bore it out, drill and tap it for a hose barb, and put a few angles on it to approximate that piece.

Gary, the part really is quite simple. There is no reason one could not be made... and one could even improve upon the original design (phenolic material comes to mind). But as Cory said, I was looking for the completely authentic non-emissions OEM part. I do believe this is original, not home made. I have seen it in pictures of other Canadian 300’s. It has a little “tongue” that laps over the hole in the intake manifold, and is generally the cleanest, best looking thing you can get. What I have actually works fine. The EGR stuff is simply blocked off with a little aluminum plate. There is no reason to change it except cosmetics and to say I have the OEM non-emissions equipment.

David and Gary already know this... but for the rest of you, I may be a little scarce online in the coming months. I am in the process of closing on a double wide mobile home on an acre in Golden Valley AZ. The home has not been lived in for 9 years, and the structure is pretty much a total loss. I will be gutting it down to the frame and rebuilding it to live in. I will be driving my truck more than wrenching on it, and my priority will be the house. So unfortunately you may not hear a lot from me except to see my ‘81 working it’s little 9” rear end off hauling building materials.

Anyway, as it relates to this discussion on emissions equipment, Golden Valley is in Mojave county where there are currently no emissions laws or testing. I may even one day try to realize my dream of an IDI Bronco.... but first I have a house to rebuild and a crew cab to finish (which will be much easier with it next to me on my own property).

Gary, the part really is quite simple. There is no reason one could not be made... and one could even improve upon the original design (phenolic material comes to mind). But as Cory said, I was looking for the completely authentic non-emissions OEM part. I do believe this is original, not home made. I have seen it in pictures of other Canadian 300’s. It has a little “tongue” that laps over the hole in the intake manifold, and is generally the cleanest, best looking thing you can get. What I have actually works fine. The EGR stuff is simply blocked off with a little aluminum plate. There is no reason to change it except cosmetics and to say I have the OEM non-emissions equipment.

David and Gary already know this... but for the rest of you, I may be a little scarce online in the coming months. I am in the process of closing on a double wide mobile home on an acre in Golden Valley AZ. The home has not been lived in for 9 years, and the structure is pretty much a total loss. I will be gutting it down to the frame and rebuilding it to live in. I will be driving my truck more than wrenching on it, and my priority will be the house. So unfortunately you may not hear a lot from me except to see my ‘81 working it’s little 9” rear end off hauling building materials.

Anyway, as it relates to this discussion on emissions equipment, Golden Valley is in Mojave county where there are currently no emissions laws or testing. I may even one day try to realize my dream of an IDI Bronco.... but first I have a house to rebuild and a crew cab to finish (which will be much easier with it next to me on my own property).

Jonathan - Ok, I see your plan and it makes sense. I'll keep my eyes open for one of those, but doubt I'll see one this far south.

As for being scarce on here, we understand - although you'll be missed. But keep us updated on the progress - both on the trailer as well as the trucks.

Jonathan - Ok, I see your plan and it makes sense. I'll keep my eyes open for one of those, but doubt I'll see one this far south.

As for being scarce on here, we understand - although you'll be missed. But keep us updated on the progress - both on the trailer as well as the trucks.

Thanks Gary, I will try not to be too scarce, but realistically this house project is daunting and I’m not going to kid myself about how much spare time I am going to have! I will still be around but I won’t have much news on my trucks, and unfortunately I won’t be able to do much junkyarding or helping others with parts. I have a few items that I have promised to people, and I will make good on those, but after that I will need need to take a break from it. The ‘81 is nowhere near where I want it to be, but wow am I grateful to have it to the point where it is... yes it got in the way of progress on the diesel, but it is exactly what I need, when I need it... good move on my part even though it sometimes didn’t seem like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Gary, I will try not to be too scarce, but realistically this house project is daunting and I’m not going to kid myself about how much spare time I am going to have! I will still be around but I won’t have much news on my trucks, and unfortunately I won’t be able to do much junkyarding or helping others with parts. I have a few items that I have promised to people, and I will make good on those, but after that I will need need to take a break from it. The ‘81 is nowhere near where I want it to be, but wow am I grateful to have it to the point where it is... yes it got in the way of progress on the diesel, but it is exactly what I need, when I need it... good move on my part even though it sometimes didn’t seem like it.

Just a quick update with a mpg calculation...

14.84 mpg mixed driving in town and local roads under 55 mph. Lots of short trips, stop and go and idling. About half light loads and half 1,500 lb to 2,000 lb loads of surplus Sheetrock and used wood flooring.

No opportunity yet to try any tune up, and no opportunity yet to charge the AC....

Given the conditions I’m happy with the fuel consumption and I’m happy with how it hauls. Even with wood flooring stacked up to the bed rails I could barely tell anything was in it. I probably would have felt it if trying to hold speed on a mountain but around town I did not notice any difference from empty.

Just a quick update with a mpg calculation...

14.84 mpg mixed driving in town and local roads under 55 mph. Lots of short trips, stop and go and idling. About half light loads and half 1,500 lb to 2,000 lb loads of surplus Sheetrock and used wood flooring.

No opportunity yet to try any tune up, and no opportunity yet to charge the AC....

Given the conditions I’m happy with the fuel consumption and I’m happy with how it hauls. Even with wood flooring stacked up to the bed rails I could barely tell anything was in it. I probably would have felt it if trying to hold speed on a mountain but around town I did not notice any difference from empty.

That is very decent MPG under those conditions. And while tuning might help some, it is really more for ideal conditions rather than stop, go, and idling. Not much helps MPG when there's idling.