Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

Looks really good, Jonathan!

0D3431FC-AEF9-4960-92A2-1F8352236EA4.jpeg.d5bdad35b886753bcca017ccba24a2b6.jpeg

Thanks guys, I have to agree that I prefer the look without the camper shell, but we hope to do some camping this summer without the travel trailer, and this will make it much nicer and easier.

It does match well, both color and style wise. And I have to say that it is very well made. They told me at the junkyard that they would bring it up front for me with a forklift, but I had to pull it and get it out to the aisle. This thing was so heavy I almost couldn’t get it. I am really feeling it today. 😩

Regarding the door, it is odd in that the lower lip extends below the edge of the tailgate. At first I thought this was an annoyance, but it occurs to me that with with properly locking latches, it does provide a small degree of security by preventing the tailgate from opening with the lid down. So hopefully I can find replacement latches. They look like fairly standard locking T handles with a square shaft. It also needs two gas struts to hold it open. Next step will be adding a rack to carry the kayaks!

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys, I have to agree that I prefer the look without the camper shell, but we hope to do some camping this summer without the travel trailer, and this will make it much nicer and easier.

It does match well, both color and style wise. And I have to say that it is very well made. They told me at the junkyard that they would bring it up front for me with a forklift, but I had to pull it and get it out to the aisle. This thing was so heavy I almost couldn’t get it. I am really feeling it today. 😩

Regarding the door, it is odd in that the lower lip extends below the edge of the tailgate. At first I thought this was an annoyance, but it occurs to me that with with properly locking latches, it does provide a small degree of security by preventing the tailgate from opening with the lid down. So hopefully I can find replacement latches. They look like fairly standard locking T handles with a square shaft. It also needs two gas struts to hold it open. Next step will be adding a rack to carry the kayaks!

I think it looks good with the shell on it.

.... Regarding the door, it is odd in that the lower lip extends below the edge of the tailgate. At first I thought this was an annoyance, but it occurs to me that with with properly locking latches, it does provide a small degree of security by preventing the tailgate from opening with the lid down....

Every topper I've had has come down past the edge of the tailgate about that much. I'm sure you're right about security since the topper always has locks in its latches and tailgates never did (until much newer trucks than I care about).

• 2 weeks later...

We are headed out of town for the weekend and I used the truck to take our iguana to a pet sitter in Sedona. I filled up the tank and calculated 250.27 miles and 14.44 gallons used. 17.33 mpg. That was a trip over Mingus mountain to go to Prescott and the round trip to work and the Flagstaff junkyard to get the camper shell.

My AC parts are waiting patiently. Along with a carb kit, fuel pump and new filter. I felt a small stutter with the “new” carb, so I’m going to try to eliminate that and do some tuning to see if I can squeeze a bit more advance out of it.

It’s running really really well, and is such a pleasure it’s hard to get me out of the driver seat. Still a lot of work to be done but at least it is functional while the rest falls into place.

We are headed out of town for the weekend and I used the truck to take our iguana to a pet sitter in Sedona. I filled up the tank and calculated 250.27 miles and 14.44 gallons used. 17.33 mpg. That was a trip over Mingus mountain to go to Prescott and the round trip to work and the Flagstaff junkyard to get the camper shell.

My AC parts are waiting patiently. Along with a carb kit, fuel pump and new filter. I felt a small stutter with the “new” carb, so I’m going to try to eliminate that and do some tuning to see if I can squeeze a bit more advance out of it.

It’s running really really well, and is such a pleasure it’s hard to get me out of the driver seat. Still a lot of work to be done but at least it is functional while the rest falls into place.

That's quite acceptable MPG, but I suspect more is available. If the vacuum advance is adjustable give it all it has and then start dialing it back if it pings.

Anyway, have a fun trip!

That's quite acceptable MPG, but I suspect more is available. If the vacuum advance is adjustable give it all it has and then start dialing it back if it pings.

Anyway, have a fun trip!

I am hoping I can squeeze a little more out of it Gary. As you know I have not tried that hard... just been trying to get it running well. I have never heard it ping, even dragging the camper up mountain grades at altitude so there probably is advance left on the table 🙂

I am hoping I can squeeze a little more out of it Gary. As you know I have not tried that hard... just been trying to get it running well. I have never heard it ping, even dragging the camper up mountain grades at altitude so there probably is advance left on the table 🙂

If there is no hesitation starting up, I would advance the static a little and listen for pinging, then do as Gary suggested.

If there is no hesitation starting up, I would advance the static a little and listen for pinging, then do as Gary suggested.

David is right - start with the static timing and advance that until you get to 14 degrees or it starts to kick back on starting. Then play with the vacuum advance.

Anyway, have a fun trip!

When you say hesitation on starting, do you mean cranking and starting the engine or starting as in taking off from a stop? I have the latter, especially if I stab the throttle. I’m wondering if the Venturi advance is too late or not enough or too much. I want to try dialing back the static timing but running manifold vacuum to the distributor.

Gary, what do you mean by kick back from the starter? Right now I notice that it will crank and crank pretty much indefinitely but if I have a little faith and let off the key it will light.

When you say hesitation on starting, do you mean cranking and starting the engine or starting as in taking off from a stop? I have the latter, especially if I stab the throttle. I’m wondering if the Venturi advance is too late or not enough or too much. I want to try dialing back the static timing but running manifold vacuum to the distributor.

Gary, what do you mean by kick back from the starter? Right now I notice that it will crank and crank pretty much indefinitely but if I have a little faith and let off the key it will light.

We were talking about when you start the engine. If you get too much static timing it will fire before the piston gets up and try to spin the engine backward. That’s “kick back”.