Bullnose Forums

1981 straight six manual 4x4 project

Ford F834

You are really lucky you came up with AC brackets, I hope I have some coming with other parts my brother is sending from CA.

If you replace the condenser just know the part you get now do not fit with out some modifying.

Replace the AC drier, pull vacuum for 30 min as said and see if it will hold it for and hour.

If so then you should be good to charge.

Once I find/get the compressor brackets, condenser, drier and make up hoses I will be doing the same thing.

I will be following

Good luck

Dave ----

I did indeed get very lucky with the brackets, especially working out a trade the way I did.

With the dryer, are you suggesting that it should always be replaced with a brand new one? I bought a very clean looking used one because I prefer to have original Ford parts where practical, but if these should not be re-used then I will order a new one.

You can reuse the dryer, but it will not be compatible with R134a, only R12. It is almost impossible to completely dry one out once it has been open to the air. It will take a minimum of an hour at a pretty good vacuum and if you have a heat gun, warm it while holding the vacuum.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can reuse the dryer, but it will not be compatible with R134a, only R12. It is almost impossible to completely dry one out once it has been open to the air. It will take a minimum of an hour at a pretty good vacuum and if you have a heat gun, warm it while holding the vacuum.

Are there 134A driers available? (For retrofit?) Thanks for the heat gun tip. I do happen to have one.

All replacements now are R134a compatible. This was done a few years ago, same reason compressors are now shipped dry.

RockAuto lists one for about $15, so maybe I should go ahead and order that. What is the difference? What makes it "compatible"? Should I add PAG oil?

All replacements now are R134a compatible. This was done a few years ago, same reason compressors are now shipped dry.

RockAuto lists one for about $15, so maybe I should go ahead and order that. What is the difference? What makes it "compatible"? Should I add PAG oil?

Google tells me that the chemical desiccant pack inside the drier is different for 134A. I also read that this unit acts as a filter and can only hold onto so much crud before it affects flow and possibly fail to capture contaminants that will harm the compressor. The companies that sell the driers say the dessicant pack is good for about 4 years. I find it hard to believe you are actually supposed to remove the drier and replace it that often, but at any rate I don’t think I want to re-use the junkyard one that I bought. I have a new unit coming from RockAuto for the sum of about $24 after shipping. I also read that I should attempt to drain the oil out of the compressor and replace it with PAG oil. Here is a run down of what ideally needs to be done when converting an R12 system to 134A:

https://griffiths.com/ac-system-help-introduction/r134a-vs-r12/

Google tells me that the chemical desiccant pack inside the drier is different for 134A. I also read that this unit acts as a filter and can only hold onto so much crud before it affects flow and possibly fail to capture contaminants that will harm the compressor. The companies that sell the driers say the dessicant pack is good for about 4 years. I find it hard to believe you are actually supposed to remove the drier and replace it that often, but at any rate I don’t think I want to re-use the junkyard one that I bought. I have a new unit coming from RockAuto for the sum of about $24 after shipping. I also read that I should attempt to drain the oil out of the compressor and replace it with PAG oil. Here is a run down of what ideally needs to be done when converting an R12 system to 134A:

That's really good info. Thanks for that research - I'll be using it.

• 2 weeks later...

The USPS really did it’s best to destroy my package with the AC brackets in it...

5D39406F-AB61-4BAB-9ED0-27C2D63C2079.jpeg.6e71d3569ca81a2eb2f6fc2baaaee728.jpeg

Luckily none of the brackets got out of the package, and Trent secured each fastener in its respective hole with a zip tie. I did not loose a single bolt!

AE81260A-33D4-4795-8EE9-5DAB5E21F641.jpeg.4628c2a05dfce693d0e2e0a70a6a95cd.jpeg

BE21E76C-ECD2-4D4C-B2E5-214BF4CBF7A4.jpeg.9dae03d6b4034b6a9d529460b0b0c21f.jpeg

Lucky thing he included the rear power steering pump bracket as well, turns out it is different. I tried my original bracket at first and the pivot bolt hole and captive nut did not line up. I checked the engineering numbers and yeah, they are different...

07DC9C0E-9FBF-4164-9420-892065BE95D6.jpeg.9e45b597c743a5e6cecb6b6658b44d4a.jpeg

443E3847-2242-4B8C-8B9D-6233F0E97C37.jpeg.75c6b6b474ded20715dc84bdb40d428d.jpeg

So I got the compressor mounted and everything looks good except for the low pressure hose to the dryer is too short (from a V8 truck). It barely reaches and cannot be routed against the firewall. I need to order a new one, along with the correct belt. This one needs to be longer than the one I bought for the York compressor.

394D4B3E-FC7A-4113-89A9-738208B7A71C.jpeg.ea7056b96189d74715e2e6a943ddd4c7.jpeg

933C31B3-5FCD-400B-9590-47B76634E229.jpeg.7cb56e955d7a09eb8e1595b61d4e0187.jpeg

I am getting closer... and good thing because the weather is already warming up in Arizona. I decided to skip the engine cleaning and painting for now. It won’t help it run any better and I just don’t have that kind of time. I looked at it, and it is a big job to do it even half-ass right. I have so many other pressing needs it will have to wait.

The USPS really did it’s best to destroy my package with the AC brackets in it...

Luckily none of the brackets got out of the package, and Trent secured each fastener in its respective hole with a zip tie. I did not loose a single bolt!

Lucky thing he included the rear power steering pump bracket as well, turns out it is different. I tried my original bracket at first and the pivot bolt hole and captive nut did not line up. I checked the engineering numbers and yeah, they are different...

So I got the compressor mounted and everything looks good except for the low pressure hose to the dryer is too short (from a V8 truck). It barely reaches and cannot be routed against the firewall. I need to order a new one, along with the correct belt. This one needs to be longer than the one I bought for the York compressor.

I am getting closer... and good thing because the weather is already warming up in Arizona. I decided to skip the engine cleaning and painting for now. It won’t help it run any better and I just don’t have that kind of time. I looked at it, and it is a big job to do it even half-ass right. I have so many other pressing needs it will have to wait.

Wow, that package looks like it was dragged behind the truck. Probably kept up for the first two miles. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Sure glad he retained everything inside. And glad that he sent the rear bracket. That would have been frustrating to be soooo close but not be able to bolt it up.

Can you have a hose made to fit?

Wow, that package looks like it was dragged behind the truck. Probably kept up for the first two miles. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Sure glad he retained everything inside. And glad that he sent the rear bracket. That would have been frustrating to be soooo close but not be able to bolt it up.

Can you have a hose made to fit?

I’m pretty sure my package was stabbed with a forklift. Both me and the sender are pretty unhappy about how it was treated but all is well that ends well I suppose.

I probably could get my low pressure hose lengthened, but it is probably just as cheap to buy a new one. RockAuto lists it for $29 without a fill port (factory charged) or $37 with a fill port in the hard line by the dryer. I need to check the dryer I bought to see if it has a fill port or not. That never even occurred to me until I looked up the hoses. If it does not have a port then I will need to get a hose that does.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the truck that I pulled the compressor from already had the R134a fittings, and a new dryer that said made in china on it. The truck was immaculate and well maintained. I’m going to make the assumption that it was professionally converted and not a “dirty” conversion. Once I get the hose and belt I’m going to rent the pump, fill it with refrigerant and go.

I’m pretty sure my package was stabbed with a forklift. Both me and the sender are pretty unhappy about how it was treated but all is well that ends well I suppose.

I probably could get my low pressure hose lengthened, but it is probably just as cheap to buy a new one. RockAuto lists it for $29 without a fill port (factory charged) or $37 with a fill port in the hard line by the dryer. I need to check the dryer I bought to see if it has a fill port or not. That never even occurred to me until I looked up the hoses. If it does not have a port then I will need to get a hose that does.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the truck that I pulled the compressor from already had the R134a fittings, and a new dryer that said made in china on it. The truck was immaculate and well maintained. I’m going to make the assumption that it was professionally converted and not a “dirty” conversion. Once I get the hose and belt I’m going to rent the pump, fill it with refrigerant and go.

Those prices are much better than having a hose custom made. And it seems like you have a good plan and are closing in on having A/C. Good luck!