Bullnose Forums

AOD 4x2 to C6 4x4

I've come to the part of the 4x4 swap on my 1984 F150 where I'm swapping transmissions. I've got the transmission, transfer case, crossmember, and driveshafts. My two areas of concern are the neutral safety switch and speedometer cable. I know the NSS are different AOD to C6, but is the connector the same? I currently don't have a C6 NSS on hand to verify. Also, will the lower speedometer cable need to be changed out? The truck has cruise control.

yes, the cable will need to be a longer one due to the connection being on the t-case output (further back).

the nss is totally different on the c6 as it rides the selector shaft and it has the "d" shaped, four pin connector whereas the aod has a plug coming out of the case above the selector with a round barrel type connector. in both cases, the four wires are two making up the safety and the two sending voltage to the reverse lights

yes, the cable will need to be a longer one due to the connection being on the t-case output (further back).

the nss is totally different on the c6 as it rides the selector shaft and it has the "d" shaped, four pin connector whereas the aod has a plug coming out of the case above the selector with a round barrel type connector. in both cases, the four wires are two making up the safety and the two sending voltage to the reverse lights

Thanks for the info. The NSS concern was more about where it plugs into the main harness at the frame rail. If that connector is different, I'm going to have to track one down to wire it in.

Thanks for the info. The NSS concern was more about where it plugs into the main harness at the frame rail. If that connector is different, I'm going to have to track one down to wire it in.

on the c6, the nss has a pigtail about 24" long. that has the "d" shaped plug which plugs into the mate of the frame harness. on the aod the barrel plug at the transmission is also a pigtail which reaches over and plugs into the same point at the frame harness. both were an option for a few years and the pigtail at one point can fit both