Bullnose Forums

Tilt wheel -the famous wheel/column slop.

I searched and saw that Big Blue got some column updrades. Maybe went from tilt to straight?

Anyway, I have the tilt column with the up and down wheel slop.

It stays in tilt positions though.

I need to replace the directional cam.

While I am in there, is there something I can tighten? I read that some years have a top bushing repair kit.

If you guys can point me to an old thread on this, I might be able to check this one off my list.

Thanks,

Joe

Yes, Big Blue got a downgrade that is really an upgrade. He went from a tilt column that had slop and would every once in a while, at the worst possible time, refuse to engage the start relay to a fixed column with no slop and which starts every time. Plus it is a handy place to pull yourself into such a tall truck, without fear of breaking something.

As for your column, our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Steering wheels has a lot of info. First, at the top is a discussion about the part that is prone to breaking, and you should check that part out closely to see if it is broken or shows signs of an impending break.

And on the Instructions tab there is both the factory shop manual section on the steering columns but also Scott's writeup on how he fully disassembled his tilt column, powder coated it, and then reassembled it. That includes part numbers and pictures for the upper and lower bearings.

Speaking of bearings, on Big Blue I replaced the lower bearing with one from DRB Fab that is much more robust. And the upper bearing on a non-tilt column is encased in a rubber cushion, which was just a tad too small for the recess in which it sits. So I wrapped it with a piece of .010" shim stock and that tightened it up very nicely. No more slop but it is still cushioned.

Yes, Big Blue got a downgrade that is really an upgrade. He went from a tilt column that had slop and would every once in a while, at the worst possible time, refuse to engage the start relay to a fixed column with no slop and which starts every time. Plus it is a handy place to pull yourself into such a tall truck, without fear of breaking something.

As for your column, our page at Documentation/Interior/Steering Columns & Steering wheels has a lot of info. First, at the top is a discussion about the part that is prone to breaking, and you should check that part out closely to see if it is broken or shows signs of an impending break.

And on the Instructions tab there is both the factory shop manual section on the steering columns but also Scott's writeup on how he fully disassembled his tilt column, powder coated it, and then reassembled it. That includes part numbers and pictures for the upper and lower bearings.

Speaking of bearings, on Big Blue I replaced the lower bearing with one from DRB Fab that is much more robust. And the upper bearing on a non-tilt column is encased in a rubber cushion, which was just a tad too small for the recess in which it sits. So I wrapped it with a piece of .010" shim stock and that tightened it up very nicely. No more slop but it is still cushioned.

Thanks, Gary.

I knew you could point me in the right direction.

What an incredible resource.

Appreciated,

Joe

Plus it is a handy place to pull yourself into such a tall truck, without fear of breaking something.

That's a good point I hadn't considered when we've considered trying to find a tilt column. I definitely have to pull myself in by the wheel when entering the truck. Whew, scratch that from the list.