Bullnose Forums

FelPro Oil Pan Gasket

yes. the one piece is a must if you are doing it in the truck. but certainly, make sure EVERY surface is as clean as it can be.

Thanks Mat, FelPro list the one piece from 88 up, list only 4 piece for 85. Got anything on a pump? CJ

Thanks Mat, FelPro list the one piece from 88 up, list only 4 piece for 85. Got anything on a pump? CJ

whenever possible, I stay with the factory pump. rebuilding them more often than not. after that I have been very happy with the Melling parts. m68 for 5.0/302 but the part number for 4.9 I can't think of. I do like ten sbf to one 4.9.

whenever possible, I stay with the factory pump. rebuilding them more often than not. after that I have been very happy with the Melling parts. m68 for 5.0/302 but the part number for 4.9 I can't think of. I do like ten sbf to one 4.9.

IMG_0169.png.59272c1894fdd3344f5947985b730607.pngIMG_0168.png.f712ba310296080a1367f01bad10cac9.png Mat is this the one for my 85 4.9L? I know I have to do some work to pan. CJ

Mat is this the one for my 85 4.9L? I know I have to do some work to pan. CJ

Use care the gasket has a tendency to squeeze out of place at the rear of the pan when tightening the bolts. This is hard to see if the flywheel/spacer plate isn't removed. Ones I've redone the gasket displaces into the engine rather than squeezing to the outside .

Use care the gasket has a tendency to squeeze out of place at the rear of the pan when tightening the bolts. This is hard to see if the flywheel/spacer plate isn't removed. Ones I've redone the gasket displaces into the engine rather than squeezing to the outside .

very good point. the rear that goes over the rear main has no tabs to keep it aligned. and no bolt holes either.

the pump looks correct, but it is a high volume one. not a problem but not always needed. if you are putting this in an old engine though. it may very well help keep oil pressure up if the bearings have many miles on them. but it will only help, not cure wear. since you are going to be right there it might be a good time to inspect a bearing or two. main and rod. you may get the info that you need whether you want it or not.

very good point. the rear that goes over the rear main has no tabs to keep it aligned. and no bolt holes either.

the pump looks correct, but it is a high volume one. not a problem but not always needed. if you are putting this in an old engine though. it may very well help keep oil pressure up if the bearings have many miles on them. but it will only help, not cure wear. since you are going to be right there it might be a good time to inspect a bearing or two. main and rod. you may get the info that you need whether you want it or not.

Thanks Mat, my original intent was to clean pan and pickup, torque mains and rods but on a 30 mi trip, I stopped at redlight and oil pressure was at almost 0 psi. Was 20-30 psi while moving. I removed sender and installed mech. Gauge. When cold at low idle it is 30 psi, when hot at idle it was 7-8 psi. That’s why I was looking at doing this. 108K on engine. CJ

10/4, Paul, is this the right gasket? CJ

Thanks Mat, my original intent was to clean pan and pickup, torque mains and rods but on a 30 mi trip, I stopped at redlight and oil pressure was at almost 0 psi. Was 20-30 psi while moving. I removed sender and installed mech. Gauge. When cold at low idle it is 30 psi, when hot at idle it was 7-8 psi. That’s why I was looking at doing this. 108K on engine. CJ

those are scary results. definitely inspect bearings. Crankshaft bearings are the most common for loss of idle oil pressure. 20lbs at idle warm is as low as I would care to see.