Bullnose Forums

BALLJOINT D60 VS KINGPIN D60

I am really surprised that a kingpin D60 would have single piston calipers. Mine has dual pistons, and I thought all 8 lug trucks 8600 GVWR and up had them 🤷.

Kingpins have the last-forever reputation but are a lot more difficult to address when they do wear out.

You know what...you are correct. I was thinking that all the slide pin style calipers were single piston. I also forgot I had removed the calipers to trade off the dual rear wheel hubs to a friend. I just looked, and you are correct, they are dual piston.

Kingpins have the last-forever reputation but are a lot more difficult to address when they do wear out.

Yeah, I doubt seriously I will ever wear out a freshly rebuilt kingpin. It also adds value to the truck over the balljoint....maybe?

Yeah, I doubt seriously I will ever wear out a freshly rebuilt kingpin. It also adds value to the truck over the balljoint....maybe?

Maybe. But I'd guess the difference in the truck value would be negligible, unless it was being bought to part out.

I could imagine the value difference bordering on significant if you were selling just an axle, because everyone has been told that kingpin axles are best so that's what they should be looking for.

Still, overall I think the differences are small enough that if it were me I'd pick whichever axle was easier to use, which is entirely a factor of what condition each is in.

Maybe. But I'd guess the difference in the truck value would be negligible, unless it was being bought to part out.

I could imagine the value difference bordering on significant if you were selling just an axle, because everyone has been told that kingpin axles are best so that's what they should be looking for.

Still, overall I think the differences are small enough that if it were me I'd pick whichever axle was easier to use, which is entirely a factor of what condition each is in.

I'm with Bob. If you list the truck as having a D60 that will be enough for those that know to notice. But personally I don't think there's enough difference in kingpin vs ball joints to make a dollar difference to me.

I'm with Bob. If you list the truck as having a D60 that will be enough for those that know to notice. But personally I don't think there's enough difference in kingpin vs ball joints to make a dollar difference to me.

Yeah, I'm with yall. This winters project is to install the D60 and the factory Garret Turbo. Did I mention I picked up a turbo motor? Can't remember if I did or not.

Yeah, I'm with yall. This winters project is to install the D60 and the factory Garret Turbo. Did I mention I picked up a turbo motor? Can't remember if I did or not.

I don't think you mentioned the turbo motor. So are you installing the turbo on the existing engine?

Hopefully you are not planning to use the flattened factory down pipe. That is the one component of the factory Ford branded 093 that hobbles an otherwise decent system. Do not separate the Y pipe from the up pipe if you can avoid it. They like to leak there and not a lot can be done to fix it. If they are tight together leave them that way! 🙂