Bullnose Forums

Front end still loose - 1981 F150 2WD

205K mi on the truck. After replacing the steering tube and steering box, most of the looseness in the steering was gone. But the front still had a lot of dancing around, so I replaced all 4 shocks (with 113K on them!!), which improved things even more. On smooth pavement, everything behaves well, but I get quite a bit of suspension rattle when I hit a bump. Jacking up the front, I can't find any looseness in the tie rods or wiggle in the wheels. I'm thinking it is the bushings in the various suspension elements. Is this the right diagnosis?

So... do I replace all the bushings I can find or only the ones on the I-beams or??? I read through the posts on replacing the bushings and rubber vs poly, so I have that info. Will the bushings from LMC do the job for me? I've been happy with LMC for other replacement parts.

And finally, is it OK just to replace front bushings and leave the rear for another day?

Any thoughts are welcomed.

-- JohnnyD

It is ok to replace just the front bushings and leave the rear for another day. As for rubber vs poly, rubber gives a softer ride. Poly firms the ride and handling up and should last longer - but may squeak.

And yes, bad bushings can easily cause serious problems and handling problems.

is the "looseness" you are referring to just audible rattles or are you feeling any wayward steering?

I ask this as there are other neglected items that can rattle. something as simple as loose brake pads can drive you nuts. and still, they can work fine with no hint of a braking problem. radius arm bushings are not uncommon on old trucks but if bad enough you can feel them knock around under your feet but not like any other "rattle". if you do choose poly radius arm bushings, use silicone grease and squeaks may never appear.

is the "looseness" you are referring to just audible rattles or are you feeling any wayward steering?

I ask this as there are other neglected items that can rattle. something as simple as loose brake pads can drive you nuts. and still, they can work fine with no hint of a braking problem. radius arm bushings are not uncommon on old trucks but if bad enough you can feel them knock around under your feet but not like any other "rattle". if you do choose poly radius arm bushings, use silicone grease and squeaks may never appear.

The looseness is definitely felt in the steering wheel as well as a bit audible. I'm not worried about rattles and shakes in the body - I lived for 30 years with a mile of gravel between the pavement and my house, so I have the old farm truck sounds... :) Also I recently replace the front passenger brake caliper and all looks well on both sides for the brakes.

The looseness is definitely felt in the steering wheel as well as a bit audible. I'm not worried about rattles and shakes in the body - I lived for 30 years with a mile of gravel between the pavement and my house, so I have the old farm truck sounds... :) Also I recently replace the front passenger brake caliper and all looks well on both sides for the brakes.

one of the points to inspect is the rubber coupling between the shaft and the steering gear. rag joint as it known. its used as a vibration absorber of sorts and a universal joint at the same time. many have eliminated these and gone with upgraded shafts like the borgensen universal joint assemblies. after that it may be time to question the steering gear.

one of the points to inspect is the rubber coupling between the shaft and the steering gear. rag joint as it known. its used as a vibration absorber of sorts and a universal joint at the same time. many have eliminated these and gone with upgraded shafts like the borgensen universal joint assemblies. after that it may be time to question the steering gear.

Thanks, Mat. I did install the u-joint assembly (Borgensen?) -- the rag joint was definitely ragged! I'm not worried about the very small amount of steering slop, just the suspension. I ordered the bushing kit from LMC yesterday, so if I can just find some time I can install the bushings...

Thanks, Mat. I did install the u-joint assembly (Borgensen?) -- the rag joint was definitely ragged! I'm not worried about the very small amount of steering slop, just the suspension. I ordered the bushing kit from LMC yesterday, so if I can just find some time I can install the bushings...

if you are doing bushings dont forget to inspect the axle pivot bushings at least. these get overlooked often but can allow a lot of wander if they are bad. possibly even more than the radius arms.

if you are doing bushings dont forget to inspect the axle pivot bushings at least. these get overlooked often but can allow a lot of wander if they are bad. possibly even more than the radius arms.

Thanks for the reminder. The kit I ordered has both axle pivot and radius arm bushings.

Thanks for the reminder. The kit I ordered has both axle pivot and radius arm bushings.

that should give you a strong foundation. i have had good luck swapping pivot bushings with a ball joint press. press against the outer sleeve and not just the center. this is a heavy job and loaded springs are involved. be safe!